Coughing, black beard, not moving much

Status
Not open for further replies.
My bearded dragon has been coughing for a while now, and I took her to a vet several months ago for it. The people there gave me something to treat parasites in hopes it would help her fight off whatever was making her cough. I always assumed she had an upper respiratory infection, but they didn’t test for it and told me to just give her meds for the parasites they found. I did, but the coughing never went away. I would’ve taken her back a month ago, but they were closed so I finally made an appointment that’s about two weeks from now. The day after I made the appointment, everything got much much worse. She is coughing and making gargly noises nonstop, her beard is dark, she’s constantly closing her eyes, and sometimes when she coughs she moves her whole body aggressively. She’s been lethargic lately, I’ll set her down and she won’t even move. At what point does it become a serious emergency where I need to rush her to the vet and declare it urgent? I’m not sure if she can hold up for two extra weeks and I don’t know if I’m overreacting. She’s eating fine still, she just takes a lot of breaks in between and coughs. She also has some moments
where she’s doing fine, no black beard and not many coughing noises. I just want to know when this becomes an emergency. I don’t want her dying because of my inability to assess the situation. I also don’t want to overreact and take her to the vet for an emergency when she’s fine waiting it out a couple weeks. I tend to overreact when any of my animals get sick. So at what point is it an emergency that can no longer wait?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Please post pics of her and the tank and lighting -- it does sound like a RI but Tracie or AHBD are gonna haft to advise on this -- if it were me I would be trying to find a vet w/ more qualifications -- here is a website for vets www.arav.org
https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ click on XIMG at the top of the message box then click on the pic it should post let it refresh see if it post
please tell us what your using for a UVB brand and bulb coil or tube where in the tank is it top of screen or inside the tank -----------------this is extremely important that you answer all those questions- basking temps what are they and how are you taking them NO stick ons they are inaccurate
Does she have any mucous coming out of her nose or mouth? I am going to flag your post to Tracie and AHBD ---
Karrie

Dragonfury866

Original Poster
107196-7313729492.jpg
Her basking temp is currently 98, I’m using a digital thermometer for all the temps. Cool side is 80. Her uvb is a reptisun 10.0 t8, I have it on top of her tank with reflectors. She does have buildup on her mouth, could it be dried mucus?
107196-5315978816.jpg
I took her out to take that picture but I think I got to take her in. She isn’t doing well at all.

Cuttlefishh

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Charlie
Hello; poor girl, she looks like she's struggling. Id definitely say she needs to be seen right now now. I'm suprised your vet booked you two weeks when she's coughing. My vets always treated any cough as urgent, because it can very quickly turn bad. Beardies are very stoic and won't show they are deteriorating until its usually late in the disease. I would definitely call them back and say she needs to be seen asap, if they won't take her sooner, call someone else who will.

In the meantime, i would try to keep her entire enclosure constant warm (around 80F on the cool end at night even) and make sure her humidity is down. Do you have a hygrometer? I would try to make sure her enclosure is nice and dry- between 30-40% humidity but no higher.

Hang in there !

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
You need to move that T 8 into the tank approx 6-8 inches from basking area NO plastic cover over the bulb take it off if there is one -- I recommend you get her into the Vet ASAP --- see if you can find a different one w/ the link I posted --- and yes its probably dried mucous --- she looks terrible --- please get her into the vet
Karrie

Dragonfury866

Original Poster
I rushed her to the emergency as soon as I went to check on her (when I took that picture). They’re trying to stabilize her until we can take her to a professional reptile vet, but they’re currently all closed because it’s Sunday. Hoping they can help despite not specializing with reptiles.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Please keep us posted -- I feel terrible for her --- is the same vet you took her for the RI the first time?
Karrie

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Poor thing, I agree that this is an emergency. If the vet doesn't know the severity be sure to tell them. If they won't see her quickly you should find a qualified vet that will see her as an emergency.

Dragonfury866

Original Poster
It’s a different vet. This one is an ER mainly vet but it doesn’t specialize in reptiles. Currently, though, it seems like I’ll have to put her down. She isn’t stabilizing yet.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Oh no, sorry to hear that. :( If she's still eating maybe you could wait it out until the appt. in 2 weeks. But if you think she's suffering too much then it may be time.

Dragonfury866

Original Poster
Just put her down. Vets said there was something wrong with her throat, were going to try steroids and we’d take her home for the night and get an appt. tomorrow. Her heart suddenly slowed and I had to put her down. I had her for less than a year but she’ll definitely be missed. She was a good friend.
107196-8184259496.jpg
107196-8702236330.jpg

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I am so sorry to hear about her -- if and when you decide you want another dragon please take the T 8 you have a get it in the tank -- they are not strong enough to go thru the screen and if there is a clear plastic cover over the bulb it needs to come off as well ---- this is just info for you so you know -- distance for the UVB should be 6-8 inches --- again I am so sorry for her
Karrie :(

Dragonfury866

Original Poster
I doubt I’ll get another dragon. Not for a while anyways. Kind of feel like if I deserved one she would’ve stayed alive. But regardless, I think I actually had a t5 and not a t8... does that make any difference with the screen? Again, not sure if I would get another one, but still would like to know.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beardiemomg
Top Bottom