Copying behaviour?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beccajay

Hi guys. About two months ago we purchased a painted dragon. Very similar to the bearded dragon. We also have a bearded dragon.

We house them in the same tank when we're in the room and take the other out at bedtime and when we leave. I've never seen my bearded dragon happier. (He's a very timid male who scares very easily and is also very loving)

What I've noticed is my beardie has a morning ritual. He'll wake up. Puff his beard. Yawn a little and puff his beard over and over (doesn't black beard) my painted dragon watches this. And has started to do the same whenever we go to take him out of the tank. Although he doesn't have a beard. He puffs his little throat and runs to our beardie for protection.

Is this normal for lizards to copy each other's behaviours?
Also I didn't think lizards had that 'mothering instinct' yet my bearded dragon seems to get very stressed and will guard the other dragon when he feels a threat or when we're about to take him out of the tank. Is this normal?

We have another tank for the painted dragon and when we let the beardie out he'll just sit by the other tank and wait until they are housed together. There is no aggression between them and they often just lay together.

Thanks.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi Becca....I've always loved the painted agamas, can I ask where you got it from ? They pop up at reptile shows from time to time and more rarely at pet stores. It's great that they're getting along....even so, I know you might think " MYOB" but please be careful because fighting + serious biting can take place in literally seconds. Another thing to consider is that it was most likely wild caught .....please excuse me if yours is from a breeder....but in general they will carry parasites that your beardie doesn't have.

As for the throat puffing, there are a good amount of lizards that exhibit that behavior, they are usually just boys being boys. :) So just a little heads up, but enjoy your new critter and think about putting him in his own enclosure.

Beccajay

Original Poster
AHBD":3p344en5 said:
Hi Becca....I've always loved the painted agamas, can I ask where you got it from ? They pop up at reptile shows from time to time and more rarely at pet stores. It's great that they're getting along....even so, I know you might think " MYOB" but please be careful because fighting + serious biting can take place in literally seconds. Another thing to consider is that it was most likely wild caught .....please excuse me if yours is from a breeder....but in general they will carry parasites that your beardie doesn't have.

As for the throat puffing, there are a good amount of lizards that exhibit that behavior, they are usually just boys being boys. :) So just a little heads up, but enjoy your new critter and think about putting him in his own enclosure.

Thanks for your reply. I had no idea other lizards did that with their throat. I thought he was trying to imitate the beardie.

I got the painted dragon from a store that a breeder runs. I also got my beardie from there too. I had never seen one irl before so snatched the little guy up. (The reader was selling it as a bearded dragon) no clue if he knew or not. I have heard their very rare. And I can't seem to find much online about them either. Which sucks.

We do have another tank which we bought when we bought the painted dragon. Because wasn't sure how the beardie would react. So they are in separate tanks when we're not in the room. Only together when we're keeping an eye on them.

We did take him to the vets after we got him for a check. But they said he was fine. I have no idea if they could tell he has parasites just by looking and feeling? How could I find that out?

Thanks again for your reply.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lunalane827
Top Bottom