Constant Glass Surfing in Quarantined Tank

Shard

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Xion (she-on)
Sorry I've been making so many threads. For the duration of Xion's pinworm treatment I've replaced her substrate with paper towel, but she's been incredibly restless as a result. Throughout the day she'll run to the front of the tank and repeatedly try to get through the glass, scratching it, etc. She's starting to get black marks on the tip of her snout and I'm worried she's going to start really hurting herself. She was even previously launching herself at the walls, though I think I managed to fix that by turning the wallpaper around (Guessing she was trying to climb the picture of a rock wall). I try to let her out to run around at least once a day, but once she's back in it's back to desperately looking for an exit. Her medication lasts a month, so I'm concerned that she'll keep doing this the whole time.

Any suggestions on how to ease her nerves? What to do if the mark on her snout gets worse?

Update: Hit or miss solution I found, playing videos on my phone. Sometimes it grabs her attention and she'll just sit quietly and watch for a bit. It won't work forever, but anything to keep her from hurting herself when I can.

Last edited:

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Sorry I've been making so many threads. For the duration of Xion's pinworm treatment I've replaced her substrate with paper towel, but she's been incredibly restless as a result. Throughout the day she'll run to the front of the tank and repeatedly try to get through the glass, scratching it, etc. She's starting to get black marks on the tip of her snout and I'm worried she's going to start really hurting herself. She was even previously launching herself at the walls, though I think I managed to fix that by turning the wallpaper around (Guessing she was trying to climb the picture of a rock wall). I try to let her out to run around at least once a day, but once she's back in it's back to desperately looking for an exit. Her medication lasts a month, so I'm concerned that she'll keep doing this the whole time.

Any suggestions on how to ease her nerves? What to do if the mark on her snout gets worse?

Update: Hit or miss solution I found, playing videos on my phone. Sometimes it grabs her attention and she'll just sit quietly and watch for a bit. It won't work forever, but anything to keep her from hurting herself when I can.
Is the surface basking temps and temps in the temp tank good and on par? What about UVB? It could be the spring zoomies they get these this time of year - you can try putting some unfiltered honey on the nose - no crickets in the tank tho -

Shard

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Xion (she-on)
Is the surface basking temps and temps in the temp tank good and on par? What about UVB? It could be the spring zoomies they get these this time of year - you can try putting some unfiltered honey on the nose - no crickets in the tank tho -
Temps are good, in fact the basking spot is finally around 100F-105F. UVB tube (Arcadia T5) is still good too.
She was the same way back before the sand/soil mix too, when I cleaned out the previous owner's random scattering of fertilizer. Something about paper towel, she just seems to HATE it. My mom thinks its because she can't dig anymore (which she seemed to enjoy considering she used to have a hole that kept getting deeper under one of her hides 😂)

I also learned after making this post that her arms are shedding, so that probably adds to the irritability.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Temps are good, in fact the basking spot is finally around 100F-105F. UVB tube (Arcadia T5) is still good too.
She was the same way back before the sand/soil mix too, when I cleaned out the previous owner's random scattering of fertilizer. Something about paper towel, she just seems to HATE it. My mom thinks its because she can't dig anymore (which she seemed to enjoy considering she used to have a hole that kept getting deeper under one of her hides 😂)

I also learned after making this post that her arms are shedding, so that probably adds to the irritability.
If all that is good then I would say its the spring zoomies -- they drive the owners crazy --- me as well

Shard

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Xion (she-on)
I found a solution to get her to stop rubbing her face on the glass! She still glass surfs but at least she isn't hurting herself. I just covered the glass a few inches from the bottom so instead she just keeps peeking over the edge at me 😂 good to know it's probably just spring zoomies though!

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom