Confused about how to use heat packs

Status
Not open for further replies.

XtinaBeardieMom

Juvie Member
Hey guys,

So the electricity in part of my house went out for a full day a while back - thankfully the part of my house where the dragons are housed was fine, but it led me to think I should probably be more prepared in case the power goes out completely for a good while. Even though I live in TX, my house is getting down to 50 degrees or so now that it's cold out.

I know everyone says to get heat packs, so I'm going to order a bunch - getting the Uniheat packs for shipping, some 40 hour ones and some 72 hour ones. I'm just confused as to how to use them. I searched and read back through previous posts that suggested wrapping the heat pack in a towel and then wrapping that with your beardie in a blanket or something... but my beardies would never stay wrapped up in a blanket unless they were asleep! Is there a way I could actually stick them inside their tanks to create sufficient heat? I use cardboard to line the sides and backs of the tanks - could I maybe stick the heat packs behind the cardboard (would the heat come through enough, or would it be too blocked by the cardboard)? I know some people put them underneath their substrate if they use tile or carpet, but I use paper towels and my beardies have a way of wriggling themselves up underneath them so I couldn't do that. I have no idea how many heat packs I would need to heat my 4ft/75gal tanks. Would the heat even stay contained in the tanks with my screen mesh lids? The packs are supposed to get up to 100 degrees. Any suggestions?

Also, any ideas as to how I would use the heat packs to heat my dubia bin?? Do I stick them on the inside, or the outside? How many to use, etc? Thanks guys! :D

daner923

Gray-bearded Member
Well, although your beardies don't stay wrapped up normally, if they are really cold, I am sure they will. Most likely they would sleep wrapped in there with the heat pack.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi Tina....first off, to put your mind at ease, your beardies would be fine at 50 degrees for a short period of time. Heat packs would be fine during the night used as you described, but they would not in any way heat a large tank. They could only provide small spots of warmth where your beardie could lay on them, with , say, a bath towel in between them and the heat pack. You might consider getting a generator....you can buy a smaller one that will take care of a few things, your lizard's cages included, your coffee machine and keeping those roaches toasty. :lol: But seriously, heat packs are O.K. for an emergency, probably 3 underneath the roach bin would do the trick, but a small generator would give you real peace of mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tlpowell718
Top Bottom