Conflicting info... confused?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am looking at possibly switching my dragon to dubia roaches as I've heard they have a higher nutritional content. I am currently feeding her crickets twice to three times a week. Are dubia roaches a better substitute? Would two to three times a week still be enough, I was thinking two or three roaches at a time. She normally has 5 crickets.

After looking online, so many different website say different things and I'm so confused.

She is 3 years old and I have only had her for a few days so I'm still trying to find my bearings. Any info greatly appreciated.

lizardmom25

Hatchling Member
Dubias are a bit better nutritionally, and I find them MUCH easier to care for and feed. We have switched all of our reptiles from crickets to dubia. I would say see what she will eat in a sitting, keeping the same schedule.

sparkybeardyandme

Original Poster
Thank you for the help. I'm just getting a bit panicked as this is only my third day with her and she is my first ever reptile. What should I do if she is looking for more food? She has eaten all her greens today and I added a teaspoon of chopped cucumber (although I don't think she enjoyed that as much as her leaves) I've just given her about a tablespoons worth of grated carrot which she gobbled down whilst I was holding her.

Should I give her some more greens in her food bowl or leave her for the rest of today? She has been to the toilet every day and it is an OK consistency. A little watery today, but that could be to do with the stress of moving and a new environment.

I will try what you have suggested with the roaches. I might even alternate the two for a while and see which one she prefers.

Thanks again

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
Different bugs have different benefits - it’s not as simple as dubia are more nutritious than crickets. Dubia do tend to be meatier, but this just means they have more meat per bug. It’s way more important to take good care of your feeder insects and feed them a good diet to have the best impact nutritionally.

If you have the means, feeding both (or even more than two bugs) is better than one or the other so that you get the range of nutrients each has to offer. Only a few bugs (typically larvae/worms) tend towards “junk food”.

Offer as much veggies as she will eat. She can’t overeat on greens and veggies, really.

sparkybeardyandme

Original Poster
Brilliant thank you. I am currently feeding my crickets on a diet similar to hers veggies wise and have looked into a good diet for the roaches so she is getting all of the nutrients she can from them. I think I could do both, even if it was one week crickets then one week roaches. I am avoiding worms and things for the moment, but may use them in the future just for treats.

She's already a lot more active than the first day we got her and I've got a new UVB bulb and thermometer coming tomorrow. I think she may have been deficient in UVB as she is very small for her age and isn't very yellow, but as a rescue I'm not 100% sure of her full history.

Thanks again for the advice.

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
Your roaches will be just as happy with a fresh produce diet too. No need for making a chow or anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
milosmom
Top Bottom