concerns for a new rescue baby

Status
Not open for further replies.

EllenD

Gray-bearded Member
No, don't give up, something is off that is preventing her from wanting to eat, and that's what you have to figure out here..

Did you ever get a fecal test done? At this point it's a tough decision, because she may have a parasitic infection that requires a medication other than Panacur, but giving her any harsher meds may put her into renal failure. But it would be good to at least know if she does have a high count/load of some other parasite that is causing this...but if the blood is now gone from her stools and they are looking normal, then that's good sign that it may not be a parasite at all, and that the small amount of Panacur you gave her flushed out whatever parasite she had, probably pinworms.

Do you still have her under that same PowerSun MVB? You said that you do not replace the MVB's every year, and if you still have her under that same PowerSun MVB then this may very well be a good part of the issue. I really highly suggest that you get her under a new 10.0 T5 UVB tube, or even a weaker T8 UVB tube if you already have a T8 fixture that you can use and that would help you out money-wise, as long as you mount any T8 tube under any mesh lid that might be on her tank, and as long as the T8 tube is within 6" or so of her basking spot. The T8 tubes have to be replaced every 6 months, which is one of the reasons the T5 tubes are more cost-effective in the end, plus they are much, much stronger. But you have to work with whatever you have to work with.

You can buy an 18" Reptisun 10.0 T8 UVB tube on Petco's website for only $18, and any Petco store will price-match their online price as long as you load up their website page with the $18 price on your phone and save it, UVB then just show the online price at the register. I think the in-store price for that tube is like $37.99, which is ridiculous, so this is definitely the way to buy that particular tube, and it's the tube you want if you're going with a weaker T8 tube (or the Arcadia T8 tube). But you can also buy the 22" Reptisun 10.0 T5HO UVB tube on Amazon.com for $24, and a 24" T5-rated fixture for it on Amazon for $28, which is the cheapest 24" T5 fixture that includes a reflector. So either way it's a good deal.

I don't think I'd "give-up" on her yet, I think she's had a horribly rough life and never had any adequate lighting or temps, and the signs of MBD and calcium deficiency in her first photos are very evident, so that's where I'm coming from with the UVB tube suggestion.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I agree, don't give up on her. Keep trying to get her as hydrated as possible and get some of that baby food (or critical care) into her. If she is hydrated and has at least a little bit of nourishment along with proper heat and lighting that will give her the best chance to mend herself and bounce back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylis342
Top Bottom