Concerns about a 4mo old beadie

Marie96

Beardie name(s)
Lexie
Hello! I have a 4mo old bearded dragon I got her almost 2mo ago. The first few weeks she was very dark and had stress lines very bad but thats pretty normal for the first few weeks. Then I changed her uvb bulb to a much better one. It seemed to do amazing she was so bright and she didn’t have any stress lines. She loved coming on my hand and would sometimes let me take her out. Now this started a little over a week ago. She’s so dark all the time. And doesn‘t want to be taken out of her tank at all. Its almost like her whole personality changed. I can’t figure out what happened. She’s still eating and I mist her 3 times daily to give her hydration. I have checked the uvb light and that’s all good. I‘m just trying to figure out what’s going on with her. The only thing that would be different from about 2 weeks ago would be I put tile down in her tank instead of reptile carpet but that’s it. So if anyone could please help that would be great.

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
If your uvb and basking are on point, and she is eating good, then she just needs time. At 4 months old she is still brand new to the world, it takes them time to become comfortable and bolder.

Marie96

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Lexie
Yeah that’s what I was thinking to. But is it normal for them to go in waves of like being totally fine with you. Then being the complete opposite?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Yeah that’s what I was thinking to. But is it normal for them to go in waves of like being totally fine with you. Then being the complete opposite?
Yes at that age- they need to learn to trust you- make sure surface basking temps are 105-110 taken w/ a digital probe thermometer- uvb is a long tube fixture-- and No coils

Marie96

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Lexie
Yes at that age- they need to learn to trust you- make sure surface basking temps are 105-110 taken w/ a digital probe thermometer- uvb is a long tube fixture-- and No coils
Yes I have all those things. Do u have any tips for bonding at this age?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Yes I have all those things. Do u have any tips for bonding at this age?
Hand feed bsfl put a piece of clothing or fleece blanket in the hide w/ your scent on it - your uvb is what brand and bulb? Where in the tank is it? The two bulbs have different placement and distance very important

Marie96

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Lexie
Hand feed bsfl put a piece of clothing or fleece blanket in the hide w/ your scent on it - your uvb is what brand and bulb? Where in the tank is it? The two bulbs have different placement and distance very important
yes I have been doing that. She does come on my hand and crawl up my arm depending on her mood lol 😆 I’m not 100% sure the brand I know it’s a uvb T-5 24 inch and it’s on top of the screen in the middle of the tank. And her heat/basking bulb is on the left side

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
yes I have been doing that. She does come on my hand and crawl up my arm depending on her mood lol 😆 I’m not 100% sure the brand I know it’s a uvb T-5 24 inch and it’s on top of the screen in the middle of the tank. And her heat/basking bulb is on the left side
Ok the screen on the tank is a fine mesh like a screen door or a wide hole type

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Like a screen door type
Ok please get the uvb in the tank - screens block 30% of those rays- you want a piece of basking decor directly under the uvb 12-15 inches - this can contribute to her behavior and will contribute to the health of her-

Marie96

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Lexie
Ok please get the uvb in the tank - screens block 30% of those rays- you want a piece of basking decor directly under the uvb 12-15 inches - this can contribute to her behavior and will contribute to the health of her-
Ok, I will try. Would u suggest also putting up a background so she doesn’t see her reflection so much?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok, I will try. Would u suggest also putting up a background so she doesn’t see her reflection so much?
If it's bothering her- but your uvb is crucial- you want it unobstructed - if you need help please ask I can post some things to help you get it inside

Marie96

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Lexie
If it's bothering her- but your uvb is crucial- you want it unobstructed - if you need help please ask I can post some things to help you get it inside
Yes I will take any advice I was trying to figure out how to get it inside

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
J.sobrero
Top Bottom