Concerning bowel movements

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adriana0918

Hatchling Member
So I've decided to post this here since I didn't really get any answers on my other post in health. Hemingway's poop has been gross, runny and green. And very smelly. This morning about an hour after his lights were turned on, he was sitting in a pile of green diarrhea and water. Once I got him cleaned up I decided he may need a vet visit to check for anything. My mom and I have agreed that if by friday, his runny poop continues, we will make a vet appointment with our nearest reptile vet. However, I really would like some advice on what this could be and if it could be serious.

ancapper

It may be parasites, if it is I suggest with the antibiotics you give him a reptile probiotic to keep his appetite up since it tends to bother beardy bellies
Update: this will require a vet visit, they will need a poop sample, bringing it will help a lot, Ziploc a few days and date the bags if you can to help diagnose

Bluesrains

Hi, It sounds like he might have worms. You should take a clean sample of his poop, not in water, and have it tested. They have liquid meds to clear that up.

Bluesrains

You need to know what kind of worms or other so you first have to
take a stool sample to you vet. You can ask him what he thinks is
a good wormer, and then buy it cheaper online.

Adriana0918

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
So I think we'll take him in on Saturday if they have an opening for an appointment. What should they be doing at the vet? I've never brought him since I haven't even had him a year and was going to bring him for a checkup after his 1 year birthday in a few months. I just want to make sure they aren't hurting him by doing unnecessary things. He's still alert and eating a bunch, he just isn't pooping right. It's so frustrating but I know that this could be a lot worse... I'm hoping we figure this out soon because I feel like he's uncomfortable. No black beard or anything but he just looks like he's uncomfortable sometimes.

kyleena29

Sub-Adult Member
They will look in his mouth to see if he is pale, pretty much just look at him and check his posture. You should bring as fresh of stool sample as possible. There is also a site you can get probiotics and medication from. They also do stool samples for $10 but can only check for pinworms and coccidia and of course it's done through the mail. The link is at the bottom of the site under information > fecal testing. I would take him to a vet first and see what's going on and their test will probably be more thorough. http://www.beardeddragon.co/index.php?route=product/category&path=60

Adriana0918

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
So I'm taking him in a few hours at 5 and hopefully all goes well. I don't have a fecal sample, he hasn't pooped today. Hopefully they can tell me whats wrong.

Adriana0918

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
So I brought him in on Monday and the vet said his body is in great condition but since I didn't have a stool sample, I had to bring one in yesterday. They tested it and called me this morning and said he has pinworms and coccidia. They gave me 2 medicines to give to him together: Albon and Ponazural.

Adriana0918

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Im supposed to give .2 ml of albon for 5 days and .13 ml of ponazural today and then in 2 days

kyleena29

Sub-Adult Member
Not sure why they gave albon. I believe ponazuril and albon both treat coccidia. Panacur can treat pinworms. Should only need ponazuril and panacur. Anyone else agree? Albon is much harsher on them. Be sure he is kept hydrated.

kyleena29

Sub-Adult Member
Now that I read about it. Albon can treat both. I would think you only need albon otherwise ponazuril + panacur would be a gentler way.

Adriana0918

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I gave him the meds together as the vet said and will just make sure to keep him hydrated for the next few days. Is there anything else I should be doing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
meljorogers
Top Bottom