concerning behavior

Status
Not open for further replies.

javier

My beardie has been climbing its mesh cage,and staying there overnight.I am concerned because when i feel him he is cold,and i barely moving (he usually is alert or squirmy) when i pick him up and move him to the heat lamp.So my question is,will he get himself into a situation that he cant get out of?

fresnowitte

BD.org Sicko
Is your entire enclosure made of mesh? If so how are your temps?

Yes it is very possible that he get into a situation in which he could hurt himself.
Do you have a pic you could share of his enclosure and where he climbs to?

javier

Original Poster
yes,i do.I have his basking temps at 100-105,and the humidity is 80 (I mist constantly) say every 2 hrs.give me a second to upload the pics.

javier

Original Poster
The cool side is at 80 degrees.

here are the pics

101_41111.jpg

Mesh Cage with light attachment. Regular lightbulb.
JacobsPicture001.jpg

JacobsPicture002.jpg

fresnowitte

BD.org Sicko
First off let me suggest you stop misting your beardie 80% humidity is way to high. I'm not sure where you read that they should be misted every 2 hours but that information is incorrect for a beardie. Humidity should be somewhere between 30% and highest 50% anything higher than 50% for extended periods of time can and usually does cause a Respiratory Infection. Plus the live plant raises the humidity too.

Okay now to your mesh enclosure...those work great for chameleons but not recommended as a permanent housing for a beardie or basking/sun-dwelling reptiles. It may come in very handy in the Spring and Summer months for taking your beardie outside though. One of the problems with using that mesh enclosure is that it is way to tall for one. Your lighting needs to be coming in from the top in-order to create the proper basking spot for your beardie. They need a bit less height so the lights can be at proper distance and more floor space to get a good variation of temps.

You mentions that regular bulb, but can I ask what brand UVB you are using?
Is the tube light your UVB? If so I can't really tell from the pic but it looks to have a cover on it....if so you want to remove that as it is blocking UVB. BTW the mesh is blocking some of it too most likely. So all in all your beardies behavior of always climbing to the top could be due to him not being satisfied with his house. It's a little tricky getting everything right.

javier

Original Poster
I am using a zilla uvb,until I can get a reptisun 10.0.it has a plastic covering over the uvb light,I am using a 75 wat bulbe (regular)and tube bulbs for the uvb lamp.

spyder79

Extreme Poster
javier":80516 said:
I am using a zilla uvb,until I can get a reptisun 10.0.it has a plastic covering over the uvb light,I am using a 75 wat bulbe (regular)and tube bulbs for the uvb lamp.
if you are using a plastic covering over a UVB light than thats basically just as good as having no uv at all. Not to mention that bulb is crap and not at all what a dragon needs.

The plastic covering does not transmit UV rays only light itself.

and 80% humidity is basically deadly for a dragon.

javier

Original Poster
My little guy has grown an inch since i got him. here are some pics.
him in his exploror mode
JacobsPicture003.jpg

on valentines day
JacobsPicture004.jpg

size comparison
JacobsPicture003.jpg

fresnowitte

BD.org Sicko
javier":c0e52 said:
doesn't have the size I need, do you know where i could find a 14in? :( :angry5:
NO such thing as a 14inch reptisun you will need a new fixture too if that's the case.
javier":c0e52 said:
what do you mean slave to?LOL
My masters are 9+ beardies. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
milosmom
Top Bottom