Concerned at large behaviour change in my 2 young.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Had my 2 for about 2 months now, and I was told they were 5 weeks old at the time, so just over 3 months now.

Untill 11 days ago, they shared the same Viv, both ate well, I'd guess around 30 crickets per day. Both ate greens and fruit - though the one I'll call the small one ate more. All seemed very well appart from the bullying from the larger, which I had noticed, but it seemed to be getting worse. After reading about cohabiting on here, I decided to split them up. They were both supposed to be female, but I strongly suspect one's male. This is them on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2qlZeV5ZqAo

I bought a second set up, which worked a bit better as I could now let the temp be cooler at night. Because both vivs are in a bay window, I thought it would be better for myself and for them if I put a window in the back for them, which I did - They're now 4ft vivs which have 3ft viv glass in the back. This seemed fine as both seemed happy looking out of the back window. I noticed the larger one demonstrating at his reflection, and smaller one had turned in earlier than normal so I altered the timing on the lights so they don't have to see their own reflection.

When first seperated, they were still eating crickets as normal for a day or two, then seemed to start losing interest. The smaller has not had a poo in her(her I think) new home. She's gone twice when bathing, the first one enormous - like 3 or 4 days worth, and it's normally a large amount. Second time not as great as first as feeding's dropped off, but still more than normal. Large one had a poo in there on his first day in there, next day on my carpet, and not again untill I bathed him today.

So basically, both have stopped poohing as they did, both have stopped eating as they did(they ate like crazy only moments after I first had them, so a complete change of home didn't bother them then). I've read the brumation article, but don't think they're old enough for that. The larger is happy to sleep behind a rock for maybe up to 2 days, untill I disturb rock like today and bathe him. The other's up first thing each morning, but retires early and usually a nap or 2 during the day.

The smaller seemed a transformed creature when they were first split - much more confident and happy with life, I don't think I did wrong there. Can't understand why they've changed so much. Any advice appreciated.

catUK

Gray-bearded Member
beardies don't like change so it could be that they're settling in to a. the new environment and b. getting used to the absence of each other. good that you've seperated though. hopefully they'll pick up again soon when they get used to the change

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
milosmom
Top Bottom