Concerned About MBD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
You could also upgrade to the t5 reptisun. It has a higher output and is made for tall tanks.

6-8 inches is ok for the t8 reptisun. for the t5 I'd aim for around 10 to 12 at the basking site.

Or you can of course lower the t8 closer to the basking area if youd prefer :)

-Brandon

KrizmKazm

Original Poster
Ahhhh the T5 probably would be better for my situation, that's a good idea. Another $100 down the toilet, sigh...

Right now I have the T8 suspended about half way down into the tank. Looks horrible, but it should work until I can grab a T5 and some other objects to increase elevation in the next week or so. Thanks again for the feedback.

KrizmKazm

Original Poster
I placed Cairo in her new basking spot today and she stayed there for most of the afternoon, about 8" away from the ReptiSun. Sometimes sleeping, sometimes perked up and actually venting, which is good because I haven't seen her do that in awhile. Hoping this is a good sign of things to come, and staying observant...

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

You are doing great! She seems to be doing better now, if she did bask for a good portion
of the day then. I agree, the T5 tubes are great for larger tanks. Take your time & save up
for upgrading. The lighting is ok for now.
As suggested, you could also get her outside for short stints, to get a UVB blast. Just watch
her closely & keep an eye for overhead birds of prey.

Tracie

KrizmKazm

Original Poster
Well... for the last 2 days, I get home from an 8-hour work day and Cairo is still sleeping in the corner like she was when I left in the morning. I placed her on the basking spot and she only stayed for 3-minutes before retreating to the corner again :( After reading so many people on the forum having the same problem, I'm starting to loose hope. I still have no idea if the light was the issue, too much calcium, too little calcium. I hate feeling like this.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Have you had a fecal done for parasites? Have you weighed her?
Karrie

KrizmKazm

Original Poster
I have not, but her weight looks about the same to me. I think getting her tested is the next step though. How much does that usually run, and what is the process like?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
First you need a good reptile vet so I would be calling around --- next I would ask if you can bring a fecal in and have them test it for parasites/ pin worms--- ask cost - see what they say and go from there--- I had one done on Hiccup and the cost was $30 -- dont know what they are charging where you live--- you can get the sample of his poop in paper towel put it in a ziploc bag and take it in if they will let you do that --- mine did --
Karrie

KrizmKazm

Original Poster
I scheduled a vet visit to get a fecal exam done yesterday. I wasn't able to get a fecal exam done, since I wasn't able to get a sample in time for my appointment, but I still took her back in for a follow up.

I got an x-ray done ($200), and the vet said all of her bones looked perfectly fine. However, he did suspect Nutritional Secondary Hyperparathyroidism. He recommended a "reptile guru" in the area, and sent the x-rays to him as well. I will have to wait another pay period before I can see this other vet. He also mentioned I should continue the Oxbow force feeding, and to do it every day to try to get her nutrition back up.

I'm still confused on how all of this started, but this is my best guess, since the first year of her life seemingly had no issues - maybe as she started to grow in size and I rearranged the items in the tank to accommodate her size, perhaps the basking spot got too far from the SolarGlo when I took the larger/taller decoration out. At the time, that was her all-in-one source for heat, UVB, and UAB. That's the only thing I can think of as to why she would no longer have the energy to hunt/eat and was always sleeping.

I've recently cut a hole in the mesh at the top of the tank, allowing the SolarGlo to be a couple inches lower in the tank, and also to allow more UVB in, since the mesh isn't there now to block any of it. I also added the ReptiSun 10.0 UVB to the tank. I'm hoping these 2 improvements to the lighting, along with the continual feeding and occasionally taking her outside, will start to have positive effects. Trying to stay optimistic :/ I will also see this "reptile guru" as soon as I can.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Is she not eating on her own right now?

What did she weigh at the vets?

Did the vet only do an xray or was any bloodwork done to come to that suspicion?
Hoping she will continue to improve

-Brandon

KrizmKazm

Original Poster
She hasn't eaten on her own since like March. I've been feeding her Oxbow since my previous vet visit.

If I remember correctly, she weighed exactly 1 pound.

There was no bloodwork done. He was honest about saying their office didn't have everything they need for performing those types of tests on Beardies, but that was another reason he recommended the other guy. It sounds like that vet is more of a reptile expert and can perform any other tests that may be needed.

I believe the suspicion came when he was analyzing the reflexes in her legs, and how she drags herself when she walks. He was concerned there could be a fracture on the area on the back of neck, that could be causing nerve damage to her limbs, but after looking at the xray, he didn't think that was case.

The main suggestions were to make sure she's getting a lot of food, and to consult the other reptile vet.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
This is gonna help tremendously -- ReptiSun 10.0 UVB to the tank-- is it the T 5 or the T 8 and how far from basking spot?
Karrie

KrizmKazm

Original Poster
KarrieRee":1tpsfumj said:
This is gonna help tremendously -- ReptiSun 10.0 UVB to the tank-- is it the T 5 or the T 8 and how far from basking spot?
Karrie

Again, this is a T8, 6-8" from basking spot. I'd like to get the T5 so I can move it higher up a little higher.

Updated screenshot below. It's a little hard to tell, but the ReptiSun is flush against the back wall, the SolarGlo is on the top, in the middle.

XHfJssC.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylis342
Top Bottom