Concerned about basking behavior.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alex52686

I just got my bearded dragon 2 days ago and have noticed that occasionally when sun bathing her rear legs appear to go limp. When i pick her up she has full motor skills with them but I just wanted to make sure that this isn't something that could be a sign of an issue. Her bowl movements are regular and appear healthy so I don't think their is any impaction(below is a picture of the behaviour).... Also his skin has yet to shed from his head despite it already sheding from the rest of his body and it seems to be irritating him allot. I've given him two baths in the past two days but so far no change. any help on the two topics would be appreciated. many thanx from an over concerned, paranoid parent.

DSC00028.jpg

Alex52686

Original Poster
Wow I feel soooo much better and have to laugh at myself a little. Is sexy legs the technical term for this behaviour? : P

Thanx

gulfbrzdawn

BD.org Addict
Great Pic !!! Well for one if you felt good and were relaxed, how would you lay ??? Gettin' the picture ? The other is when a beardie basks they flatten themselves out(with legs sprawled) to expose as much of their body to the heat as possible. As for the shedding, there bodies tend to shed in stages(torso,legs,head,tail). You're doing about as much as you can with the baths to help with the shedding. The poor little guys head itches,like yours would if you had a sunburn and were peeling. I see he has branches in his viv, which is good, because they love to rub on them during a shed. You're beardie looks great and you have a wonderful setup.

sunkist

Sub-Adult Member
Yeah my dragon always looses his head last. Meaning he sheds it last. He shed everything else a week ago... his head went today.

beardie parents

BD.org Sicko
I call that the "beardie sprawl" Ours have used that leg position when sleeping as well as in the day.
In the 2+ months she's been with us, Zoom Zoom has shed 2x. In the first shed, her whole body was first, including her head, then the tail was next. This last shed was the legs first, then the body, now her tail is starting to get the black color that indicates a shed is next.

Enjoy your beardie and expect more unnecessary panic regarding your beardie, I still do it.

Alex52686

Original Poster
Thanx for all the input everyone. You've all been a great help and I'm happy to say my little girl is healthy and happy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nhacaiuytinco1
Top Bottom