Concern: beardie clearly preferring NON dusted crickets

Status
Not open for further replies.

Embee

Gray-bearded Member
Anyone else had this problem? We recently upgraded our Zilla compact (EEK!) to a ReptiSun, and our beardie, Cloudy, has been doing very well. He's more upbeat, sleeping less and eating more. He sits under that new bulb as if willing himself to grow! Things are definitely looking up. He's really been "shining" lately, if you know what I mean. :D

However, I'm starting to realize that our little guy (or gal) isn't nearly as keen on the dusted meals (crickets) I offer, as he is to the non-dusted ones. We dust in the am, no dust for afternoon feeding. I thought maybe I was imagining it, but this afternoon I dropped in the usual non-dusted crickets, and a dusted one just to see. He went after and ate four non-dusted crickets quickly, but even though the dusted one walked by him (SLOWLY) many times over, he gave it a glance, and if I'm not mistaken, a clear snub. :shock: He then looked at me as if to say, "Exactly, how stupid do you think I am?"

Of course, I am concerned about this because he was clearly struggling before we changed the tube, and is small for his age (approx. 4 - 4 1/2 months and 7 inches). Calcium is important. This am, he ate just two medium, dusted crickets. So, he's not flat out refusing them, but he's clearly partial to the "au natural" fair. At this point, I need him to be consuming a lot of protein so overall, it's really nice just to see him so excited about eating... his cricket count is way up, and we're thrilled. But I can sense that he is starting to eat less and less at breakfast, and much preferring that afternoon meal. Should I be concerned and if so, what are my options? I've been reading some about liquid calcium, but I haven't a clue as to what that entails, feeding wise, amount wise? How is it administered, exactly?

Any suggestions would be VERY welcome.

Thanks!
Em

Embee

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
Thank you. I've just learned that Butterworms are also good. Funny, he hasn't taken kindly to feeders other than crickets so far, but it's been a while since we've tried so perhaps now is the time? Do you know if I would need to purchase the worms online, or are they sometimes available in pet/herp stores? Our local store carries meal worms, but I'm not sure if they carry anything else. Think I'll give them a call and find out.

Also, with regard to worms. Given the rule of no feeders larger than the space between the eyes, even the mini-meal worms we tried early on seemed too large for a little guy (we abandoned the effort pretty much right off when he wasn't interested). Are there good calcium source worms that are small enough for a small dragon? Also, what is the best way to feed them worms? Sorry if this sounds silly, but not having really "gone there" yet, we're just not that well versed in the way of worms. :mrgreen: Any "orientation" would be most helpful.

Thanks.
Em

ErinMeetsMachine

Sub-Adult Member
there is a calcium mist that you can use, but dusting is the best.. I hear.
Just don't offer your bd non-dusted crickets. Obviously, he's just picky.. but willing.

Embee

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
ErinMeetsMachine":5efe9 said:
Just don't offer your bd non-dusted crickets. Obviously, he's just picky.. but willing.

At present, crickets are his only source of protein, his MAIN meal if you will. If I only offer him dusted crickets, will I not be offering him too much calcium powder? I believe the most common thing I've read is to offer it with one meal/five days per week? Also, given his "slight" circumstances, it's in his best interests to eat as much protein as possible right now, so if the calcium dust is keeping him from eating his fill, does he not run the risk of being underfed, and therefore continuing to struggle growth wise?

Forgive if this is all elementary. We're still learning. Very much appreciative of all your replies and support.

The best,
Em

neecie

Juvie Member
Phoenix worms are very tiny. Mulberryfarms.com is where I order. Where do you live...........may find someone closer.

Embee

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
Wonderful, sounds like they'd be great.

I'll try Mulberry Farms. I'm in Seattle area. :D

Em

ErinMeetsMachine

Sub-Adult Member
It's far more likely that BD's get too little calcium.. I even asked the vet about too much calcium and they said even dusting crickets all the time won't run them a risk of too much calcium.. apparently that's not really a problem.

Thinker

Agree that one should dust every meal up to adult (5 days calcium, 2 days multi-vite). Your dragon will not starve itself to death. Even if he/she goes on food strike for a few days don't freak out. The dragon will eventually eat what is offered and learn to really enjoy it! I get a kick out of the Beardie-Slave talk, but only we know what is best for them. If we go the easy route, the dragons will suffer. Please consider this advice in the good-hearted intent in which it is offered.

Dan

Embee

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
ErinMeetsMachine":6e1a6 said:
It's far more likely that BD's get too little calcium.. I even asked the vet about too much calcium and they said even dusting crickets all the time won't run them a risk of too much calcium.. apparently that's not really a problem.

Thinker":6e1a6 said:
Agree that one should dust every meal up to adult (5 days calcium, 2 days multi-vite). Your dragon will not starve itself to death. Even if he/she goes on food strike for a few days don't freak out. The dragon will eventually eat what is offered and learn to really enjoy it! I get a kick out of the Beardie-Slave talk, but only we know what is best for them. If we go the easy route, the dragons will suffer.

I find both of your replies very helpful, and immensely reassuring. Thank you for your thoughts. Truth is, my original impulse was to just go ahead and dust each batch of crickets as I got them (easier, and seemed well, thorough), but when I started reading, I kept seeing just one meal a day so... I changed things, and overtime have learned his preference. :roll: Cloudy will just HAVE to adjust, and I have faith that he will. He is doing so much better, and looking so good in this last week. I appreciate the "don't freak out" advice because I do tend to do just that. Our family has become so attached to him, love him so! I have picked up the multi-vites as well, and will work those in twice a week (keep the multi-vite separate from the calci-dust, correct?)

Thinker":6e1a6 said:
Please consider this advice in the good-hearted intent in which it is offered.

I consider it as such, and thank you.

Em

msmaui

Juvie Member
I feed my baby phoenix worms from Mulberry farm (after he eats his crickets) and he loves them. The first time I ordered the small ones. They are almost microscopic. I was told on here that the medium ones are fine for him because they're very soft so no problem digesting. Since then I've ordered the medium ones and they're working out great. I bought a little hard plastic bowl at the pet store with inward curved sides so they can't crawl out. I feed him the crickets in a separate container so after I put him back in his cage I put the bowl of worms in there and he eats every one that I put in there, instantly. I usually give him 12-15 twice a day but he'd more if I gave them to him. :)

Embee

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
msmaui":0790a said:
I feed my baby phoenix worms from Mulberry farm (after he eats his crickets) and he loves them. The first time I ordered the small ones. They are almost microscopic. I was told on here that the medium ones are fine for him because they're very soft so no problem digesting. Since then I've ordered the medium ones and they're working out great. I bought a little hard plastic bowl at the pet store with inward curved sides so they can't crawl out. I feed him the crickets in a separate container so after I put him back in his cage I put the bowl of worms in there and he eats every one that I put in there, instantly. I usually give him 12-15 twice a day but he'd more if I gave them to him. :)

Thanks for the information and advice. I'm looking forward to varying Cloudy's diet as it's been pretty much crickets from day one, with a few greens and apple (we're struggling a bit on the veggie/fruit issue, but keeping at it as well, he's still young). I appreciate the advice on the size. Most helpful when ordering online, for sure. He prefers the medium crickets so I imagine the medium phoenix worms will fit in nicely as well. It's nice to know they are rich in calcium, as well as palatable for youngins. :mrgreen:

I can't say thank you enough. This thread has really helped me think some things through that I wasn't quite clear on. Each day, I feel like I get a better grasp of the right way in which to raise a beardie. Yes, I too, have become a beardie slave. :wink:

The best,
Em

ErinMeetsMachine

Sub-Adult Member
I did plenty of freaking out.. and most of it before I even got my BD... it was anxiety of makng sure I did everythign and knew everything.. but nothing prepares you for how they behave haha

Embee

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
ErinMeetsMachine":c2f42 said:
but nothing prepares you for how they behave haha

So true! We've been kicking ourselves because we did a quite a bit of reading, and research before we got our dragon, only to have been talked out of most of it by the pet store that had set up shop at our local herp fair. Turns out, though it wasn't quite perfect, our original plans were much MUCH closer to the mark. *sigh* If we'd just trusted ourselves in the first place... thanks again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tangel256
Top Bottom