Complete loss of fat pads...really worried.

Status
Not open for further replies.

sluedu09

Hatchling Member
I'm really not sure if this should be posted here or in the Health forum, but here we go...

Toni is a little over 9 years old. She's housed in a 2x2x4 custom cage. I use a PowerSun mercury vapor bulb (always have). She's on newspaper. I feed supers and greens with some calcium powder thrown in there.

Toni has been losing her fat pads the last couple of months. I took her to the vet. She has no parasites. I told them I felt a mass in her belly and was worried that she was impacted, but she's still able to poop some. The vet felt her belly and said that it wasn't impaction or anything to do with her intestines. They thought it could be eggs. They said it also could be an organ that has increased in size, which there's nothing that they could really do for her if that's what it is. I can't afford an x-ray right now, which I know would confirm the organ thing. Plus they made it seem like getting an x-ray really wasn't a big deal.

She's beginning to go into brumation (she's always gone early). But I'm really worried because she has no fat on her and seems to be getting worse each day. I really don't know what to do because she won't eat. I even tried a pinky and it took me forever to get her to eat that. You can see the bones in the top part of her tail. I understand it may just be getting closer to her time because she is older.

So my real question is, what can I do to get her to eat and has anyone else experienced this before? Any help would be appreciated.

Edited to be more clear in subject line.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, I'm sorry to hear that your girl seems to have an unknown health issue. It's true that she may be reaching her final days, but it's always good to see if there's anything that can be ruled out that is causing her symptoms. An X-ray could have been some help unless your vet thought otherwise, but....would the vet do a payment plan ? Anyway, you might ask the vet for some critical care supplement. It's high calorie nutrition to be given with a syringe. Or some pet stores sell a product called Repta boost that's also high calorie supplement that some beardies enjoy. You can add extra water for the hydration that she needs now. You might also p.m. Drache613 [ Tracie ], she's a mod. that also sells supplements and may be able to help you out. I hope your Toni will be O.K. !

sluedu09

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Thank you! The thing is, she's still running around this very minute with good gold color. No black bearding or stressing out. I don't understand it? She still has the mass in her belly and the vet felt pretty convinced that it was either an enlarged organ or eggs. I'm debating on the x-ray (we seriously don't have the money) because if it's something that can't be helped, do I really want to know? They really made it sound like whatever it is, there aren't many options. I have a pan of wet play sand in her cage in case of the eggs, but I just don't know. I fed her some chicken baby food this morning and she ate it for the most part. I'll give her some more this afternoon. I'll look into the supplement you spoke of. Thank you!

Bwalter

Sub-Adult Member
sorry to hear about your girl. take it from me, don't wait to get an x-ray done. First of the year I took my girl in because she didn't seem right, vet checked her out but didn't take an x-ray, said she was fine, moved back to Ca and 2 months later, all of her fat pads were gone, she wasn't eating, so I found a great vet, and as soon as he saw her knew something was wrong, got an x-ray which showed a really big mass, we didn't have much time left to save her so she had surgery. She is only 2 1/2 years old. It was so big at that time that the vet called when he opened her up and told me he didn't think she would pull through. An hour later called to say he got the cyst out and spayed her to, she also had egg problems, even tho she never laid before. total weight of eggs and cyst was 108 grams, I almost lost my girl because a vet said she was ok, if I was you I would get an x-ray done ASAP. I am unemployed, but I applied for care credit, which I got, and my friends raised the rest of the money to save my girl, or it wouldn't have been done, I had no money to save her, but my friends got me through it and helped so much. Just my thought

sluedu09

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I may do that. Earlier she started digging in her cage so I'm really hoping that it is eggs. She's been super active up early in the day, so maybe it's a sign she's getting ready to lay.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Oh my, 9 years of age. How often has she laid eggs in the past?
I hope that is all it is. If it is eggs then you can help her pass them more easily if you give extra calcium & oral fluids.
Continue with the chicken or turkey baby food for some fat & calories to help as well. You can increase the calcium in case it is eggs.
It could be an enlarged liver though that would be pretty much in the center of the body/abdomen area.

No black beard at all though? At least she seems to be feeling pretty good right now.
Keep us posted on her.

Tracie

sluedu09

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Sorry I haven't posted an update, but I haven't had one until today. I went back to the vet. They took an x-ray. The x-ray has a large gray area that covers most of her right side. They said it is fluid. They're not sure what the fluid is from. You couldn't even see her internal organs.

I asked what could be done next, if anything, and they said really they could just do blood work to determine where the fluid is coming from. Then it would probably mean a whole lot of treatments for her. They didn't seem to think this was the best route to take. I asked if it was due to old age, and the vet said more than likely. The fluid isn't affecting her breathing or anything like that right now. She still swallows okay. There's no blackbearding/stressmarks, etc. She still acts pretty normal. The most important question was if she was suffering and they said she wasn't showing any signs of it.

So...I'm guessing I just let nature take it's course at this point. I really don't want to put her on treatments that would last the rest of her life. I don't think she'd enjoy it and I wouldn't either. This has been super stressful!

Does anyone have any advice on how to make her remaining time as comfortable as possible?

Thanks!

kcarello

Gray-bearded Member
Hello,
I am so sorry to hear about your girl. I cant imagine when mine gets to be that old and has problems,,,hoping that she does get to be that old!! I think the best thing you can do at this point is to show her all the love you can. If she is still feeling good...I would do some fun things with her. Take her outside, if the weather is warm enough, let her climb on things,,,just whatever it is that she enjoys doing...I hope that she will last a long while more with you. My heart and prayers go out to you and Toni.
Hugs!

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Oh I hate to hear that.
There are no eggs? Did they mention pneumonia?
One very very easy treatment that could help & is not stressful would be nebulizer treatments. If it is respiratory related these treatments are amazing & very helpful. It could really help out.
Do they suspect liver issues at all?
I guess a blood test may help with more direction & possibilities of homeopathic remedies you can do at home to help with her comfort.
Does she appear to be having any trouble breathing?
How is her appetite right now?

Be sure her life is stress free & that she gets plenty of rest too. You can keep her tank around 80 overnight to help with her immune system right now.
Let us know how she is doing.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
J.sobrero
Top Bottom