Compact Lighting + UVB + Heat = ?s

Status
Not open for further replies.

sirenique

Hatchling Member
So for Christmas, my boyfriend bought Bones the Dragon a Compact Fluorescent Terrarium Canopy that has two fittings (i.e. holds two bulbs). I own two Repti Glo 26W 10.0 compact coil UVB bulbs, and one standard basking heat bulb. Bones is currently housed in a 40gal viv with a screen top, and I have one dome lamp in which I rotate the UVB/heating bulbs.

Since I only have one dragon, should I make the compact holder the UVB source and then use my dome lamp for the heating bulb? Should the canopy hold both one UVB bulb and a heat bulb, with the heat bulb over his basking spot? Aside from it not functioning/showing visible light, how do I know when his UVB light is going bad? I stopped turning the UVB light on daily and now only do it biweekly when Bones started closing his eyes oddly, and the eye problem has since fixed itself.

Any answers or suggestions from experience would be wonderful =D

From what I've read on here the coil bulbs cause health problems and are not good for beardies. I haven't had any personal experience with coil bulbs since reading that the reptisun 10.0 bulb is the preferred source of uvb so that is what is in Luna's tank and my boyfriend's bearded dragon's tank. I also think that the uvb bulb has to be on more than just biweekly and getting the reptisun 10 can be on every day.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
My only suggestion is trash all your current lights. Go get a reptisun 10.0 tube, and a basking bulb for each of your beardies.

The reason the "eye problem" seemed to fix itself when you switched to only having the uvb on bi-weekly is because reptiglo is, well... to put it in nice terms, crap. They are notorious for causing eye problems. And your repti-glo is causing more harm than good. Thats why his eyes get better when he isn't exposed to it.

You asked for suggestions and that is mine. Sorry its so harsh.

-Brandon

sirenique

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I couldn't remember what Repti___ brand was good for them! :lol: I was standing there at Petsmart wondering why they sold Reptisun tube lights, but not tube light fixtures. We will be returning the compact lighting fixture and compact UVB bulb in exchange for the Reptisun 10.0 tube light... and I will have to find a tube lighting fixture online somewhere I guess!

You asked for suggestions and that is mine. Sorry its so harsh.
Haha no it's not a big deal! I'd rather get blunt, honest advice than have people coddle me and my lizard!! :wink:

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Omg thank you. You don't know how long i've waited for someone to say that to me. Cuz thats what I give lol. :mrgreen: Your cool in my books :study: :mrgreen:

-Brandon

You can get the light fixture at any hardware store cheap or if you care about looks you can use a fish tank light fixture. If you have a 40 breeder tank then a 36' tube light is what you need. The tube light and a basking light should be just fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivannam17
Top Bottom