Color/ good advice

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've just recently got a baby beardie (yesterday) lol. I was wondering what color she might be considered and when I can start handling her? Also any just all around tips? I tried giving her crickets but she wasn't interested. The first picture was right before she went to sleep. And is it ok to call it a she I mean is it hard to change later if it's a he? Thank you
91886-8327057757.jpg
91886-8880192358.jpg
91886-7812214214.jpg

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi Michael, that's a normal/standard phase beardie with no visible morph. The color may change as it grows , so you will have to wait to see unless you know where the parent dragons are to get an idea if there's any color in the line but most likely will not be very colorful . Nevertheless it is a very prety and healthy looking baby, nice round belly and bright eyed. :)

You can handle her as she tolerates it.....put your hand in slowly, not too much fast movement, and see if she'll climb on. TRhey usualy will either ignore or climb on. Handle her as needed [ cleaning, feeding, etc ] and she should adapt quickly. Some beardies don't eat much for the first week in a new place. If you slow the crickets down by shaking them in a jar with a lid on [ and a pinch of calcium powder ] until the crix are weak + wobbly [ just a few at a time until you see she actually will eat ] then drop 2-4 right near her. Most dragons go after the slow , dizzy crix which have no chance of running away.

Stres

Hatchling Member
Hi there, good looking beardie you've got. I'm not sure on the morph though looks like a regular central bearded dragon but I'm not sure.

About the handling, I'd keep it to a minimum for two weeks and try and keep the room it's kept in reasonably quiet and try to slowly introduce it to noises like the t.v or any noisy machines like the washer/dryer etc..

It's normal for them to not eat much during this relocation period due to the stress it causes them and all the new things going on around them, just keep offering crickets and make sure not to leave any in the tank overnight or for long periods in case they try to bite the dragon whilst it's sleeping. Try keeping fresh salad in the tank as well so if the crickets do get hungry they should be more attracted to the food than the dragon.

Just make sure the dragon is well hydrated if it's not eating much, by either dripping water on its nose every other day and it might start licking it off, and missing them is another way you can do this without having to handle it to much.

If you have any questions regarding your temps or general setup feel free to ask there's plenty of helpful people here that are happy to help wherever they can.

Good luck and enjoy your new companion.

Michaelh57

Original Poster
Thank you very much and I have misted her and the tank she licked the drops of things. I've showed her the water bowl and thank you for the advice on the crickets. I got her from petco (I know you're not supposed to but every reptile store near me has closed) and she looked really bright compared to the rest her color faded after I put her in/ will it come back? Like she has those orange stripes on the sides and underneath her (ears? The holes) were almost a red color.

Stres

Hatchling Member
Michaelh57":2sqp4z26 said:
Thank you very much and I have misted her and the tank she licked the drops of things. I've showed her the water bowl and thank you for the advice on the crickets. I got her from petco (I know you're not supposed to but every reptile store near me has closed) and she looked really bright compared to the rest her color faded after I put her in/ will it come back? Like she has those orange stripes on the sides and underneath her (ears? The holes) were almost a red color.

They have subtle color changes happen throughout the day, mine is usually really dark in the morning when the lights go on which is there way of absorbing more light to heat up quickly.
But it does also change after he's had a good meal he'll usually go really bright orange and really light belly, it's probably when he's at his happiest with a full stomach of food Ha.

I think the main thing to check is that he hasn't got a really black beard as its an indication of stress or possible illness, yours will most likely regain his color soon enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
milosmom
Top Bottom