Color Changes?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My husband and I have only had our Dragon for about a week now and he has begun to shed, which I know is good but my question is when my husband went to get him out this morning Boomer was under the basking bulb and it it about 10 inches away from him. But he was a really really dark color almost black like he was baking is this something that happens when they shed??? I noticed once we got him out his color started to fade back to that gray brown color. I know since he has shed for the first time he has some orange around his chin. I just wanted to check on the weird color change.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

They do color changes early in the day when they are trying to reach optimal temperatures. When they turn dark, they are trying to absorb as much heat as possible to get their body temperatures up. When they lighten up, they have normally reached peak temperatures & may be releasing some body heat to thermoregulate.
When they are shedding, their colors can look "off" due to the water beneath the skin & in between the layers of scales that are still developing prior to shedding which affects their color & brightness.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DarthPenumbra
Top Bottom