coconut oil and water

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tonja

BD.org Addict
There was an interesting question posed by someone in the forum concerning coconut water for hydrating dragons. Well, me being me called Colorado State University College of Veterinary and Biomedical Sciences concerning this as I did not know and I trust the vets at the university. I spoke with one of the vets whom I have spoken with before and what he told me was astounding and I would have never guessed. For hydration, he said you can use coconut water, 3x a day at .3 ml per 100 grams of weight. It is safe to use if your dragon is fighting water. He also said that pure cold pressed virgin coconut oil has significant fungal fighting properties if applied lightly to the skin of reptiles. I thanked him and started searching the net. I did find that coconut oil does in fact have amazing fungal fighting properties if applied lightly. I had also asked if coconut water given orally would have adverse reactions in bearded dragons specifically and he told me no, that it was fine to use for its hydrating properties. Now its up to you if you want to go these routes, but personally since I trust them, I would do it, what can it hurt? These remedies in no way replace what vet can do and meds but, in conjunction with that, I would try it.
You can research the amazing affects of pure virgin coconut oil yourselves in relation to fungal infections. I think in some ways it surpasses manuka or berringa honey if only for the fungal fighting properties. ultimately it is up to you, the research is out there. BTW Colorado State University College of Veterinary and Biomedical Sciences is ranked 3rd in the top 10 vet colleges in the country only topped by Cornell as #1 and Davis in Cali as #2

http://melissaasmith.hubpages.com/video/coconutoilforpet

destiny1998

Extreme Poster
Photo Comp Winner
That's very interesting. I've wondered about the coconut oil and water myself. Thanks for posting. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lienminhokvip
Top Bottom