Coccidia, Hook worms the whole nine!

Status
Not open for further replies.

EvilYoul

Okay here's the situation I have a sick bearded dragon that's seeming to get a whole lot better after taking all of his med's and he's only got a few more pancur treatments to go but he hasn't been digesting properly only time he digests is when I stick him in warm water.. Now he started acting this way while he had coccidia and the hook worms ect. I noticed something wasn't right so i immediately took him to a vet and they dosed him but the dosages they gave me was improper.. Reason i say this is because my beardie is 380 grams and they gave me panacur and albon 5% and they didn't feel the syringe completely.. they left air inside of it and it was to the 3 ml line and he needs about 4ml of each.. I called the vet and complained and said i got online and ordered albon and panacur myself and that i'd dose him myself the correct way and that I was going to find a new vet.. So when i got the treatments in i treated him as directed and.. like i said he seems to feel better but then again not because he isn't digesting properly.. is there a possibility the coccidia and all the other things he had screwed up his digestive tract? This is what i'm worried about.. i have him on tile I don't have any loose substrate my tank is 4 foot long by 2 tall by 3 wide and the overall tank temp is about 85 basking spots reaching up to about 110 degrees.. He's digested fine up until his sickness... im afraid he had this illness a little too long.. i also have to force feed him food he wont take it in... my guess is because he can't digest anything.. is there any chance that he'll make it? What should i do?

Beardednoob

BD.org Addict
Are you using a pro-biotic?
Bene-Bac, Acidophiliz+ and soy based non dairy yogurt work well.
During the treatment are you keeping his temperatures optimal?

EvilYoul

Original Poster
Yes I'm using a probiotic which is the acidophilus and the tank temps are the same as they always are..

Beardednoob

BD.org Addict
When using an antibiotic you want to ensure you are getting peak temperatures and bathing everyday if possible.
Once the treatment is done, I would see if the digesting returns to normal, give it a few days to a week and go from there.

EvilYoul":2u6eyex2 said:
the tank temps are the same as they always are..
Which is?

EvilYoul

Original Poster
Alright will do! thanks for the advice.. is there a possibility though that coccidia or any other thing he had may have screwed up the digestive tract? Can it do that to them? I know it eats at there nutrition but could it actually eat at that as well?.. I'm hoping for the least worst case synarial.. suck at spelling blah.. lol but yeah..

Beardednoob

BD.org Addict
I am thinking that the antibiotic is countering the beneficial gut flora to the point it isn't adequate.
I am not sure the frequency and amount give and when it is given of the pro-biotic is though??

The only other thing that comes to mind would be basking temperature..
What temperature is it?
What style thermometer are you using to measure it?
Or
To point back at Coccidia, and the presence of other parasites, this too can cause undigested feeders/food.

Other then those I wouldn't know what else could cause inadequate digestion.
So that is 3 possibilities.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beardiemomg
Top Bottom