Coccidia cleaning

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spyrosmom

So Spyro got coccidia medicine and the treatment plan is: give .11 ml every other day for 3 treatments, wait 10 days, then again, give every other day for 3 treatments. He's finished his first 3 treatments and after the last one, I put him in a separate tank and have since disinfected his entire tank with that special coccidia disinfectant. I was wondering if he has to spend the next 10 days plus extra treatments in his extra tank, or if he can go back into his main tank now that it's disinfected and he's been through his first round of treatment. The extra tank is small (20 gallon) with a 75 watt heat bulb, a 100 watt ceramic heater, and his normal uvb which is 15 I believe. In his big tank he has a 150 watt heat lamp, a 150 watt ceramic heater, and the uvb. I'm just wondering if he'll re-infect his big tank if I put him back in if I keep it nice and clean.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
He can be in his main tank but you'll need to keep it sanitized. It's best to use disposable substrate and minimal or easy to clean furniture for now. If he poops in it, then you'll need to use an ammonia solution or a steam cleaner on everything. I also suggest using some Vetericyn on his bum after each poop so he doesn't spread coccidia as he moves around.

Spyrosmom

Original Poster
CooperDragon":1wnsij1d said:
He can be in his main tank but you'll need to keep it sanitized. It's best to use disposable substrate and minimal or easy to clean furniture for now. If he poops in it, then you'll need to use an ammonia solution or a steam cleaner on everything. I also suggest using some Vetericyn on his bum after each poop so he doesn't spread coccidia as he moves around.
So I only have ground cocoa shell sand for substrate which I had been sifting with a scoop but I feel like that was leaving sand that had touched the poop in the tank and may have added to his coccidia. I recently bought doggie bags so I can grab all the sand in the area of the poop. The tank is 60 gallon so it's difficult to fully clean all the time. Thankfully he always poops in the same spot so I know he wouldn't poop on furniture in the tank. Do you think this would all be okay as far as the sand goes?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I'd get rid of the sand because it will start to harbor bacteria as soon as liquid touches it. I'd just put down some butcher paper or newspaper for now so it's easy to just pull out and throw away. In the long run it might be best to install a solid substrate like tile or shelf liner so it's easy to keep clean and sanitized.

Spyrosmom

Original Poster
CooperDragon":3jz4ptqq said:
I'd get rid of the sand because it will start to harbor bacteria as soon as liquid touches it. I'd just put down some butcher paper or newspaper for now so it's easy to just pull out and throw away. In the long run it might be best to install a solid substrate like tile or shelf liner so it's easy to keep clean and sanitized.
Everyone tells me this but I can't stand to take it away from the little guy. He loves digging in it and every night he digs the "perfect" hole to sleep in. For now I can do paper towels though

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beardiemomg
Top Bottom