Coccidia and beardie behavior

Status
Not open for further replies.

opi

My bearded dragon is about 18 months, she has been treated for coccidia several times. Few weeks ago, she was acting strange, she did not want to be by the light, just hid all the time and was not eating. I called the vet, tested her poop and found substantial coccidia. We put her in a pretty aggresive treatment to take care of it. She was doing great for few weeks, but now she is behaving strange again.....it is the oddest thing, she just stays away from the ligh?

Has something like this ever happened to anyone?

She is eating a bit less, ( veggies) crickets she still seems love! she is pooping normal, her lighting and heading is all good. My vet actually came to my home to see the tank set-up.

Something is going on with her, but I cannot figure out what? And it is not brumation because she wasn't behaving like this few weeks ago?

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Opi

chadwick757

Hatchling Member
What is your lighting setup? Bulb types, distances from basking areas, bulb brands and models, and also bulb ages. If you are having serious lighting issues you could be stressing out your beardie. Most animals have some coccidia but in very small numbers, when they get stressed the immune system isn't working at 100% and this can sometimes cause the problem to get out of control.

opi

Original Poster
My vet specializes on reptiles ( works in the zoo).

The lightbulb is 150, vapor ( I think this is what they call it). It is over12 inches away. I would say more like 20 inches away. The light is a bit under 6 months, I have to replace it within the next few day. However, this behavior has been going on for months now.

I don't think is the set up. When he came I explained to him her odd behavior, we could not quite figure out.

The other thing I noticed is that in the morning, when I first turn the light on, she get a black beard. After a bit it goes away, but for some reason she is unhappy whith the light. I'll buy two 100 bulbs as replacements of my current 150. Other than doing this, I don't know what else I could do?

Opi

Lennifer

Juvie Member
Hi! Did u happen to treat your beardie w probiotics when he was on the meds for his parasites? The meds that the vets give often take away all the good bacteria/gut flora & this can slow down there eatting. I would recomend ordering some Acidophiliz+ from Beautiful Dragons.com.

This is what it says on the website....In my opinion, Acidophiliz+ by Pet Authority is the best way to introduce good bacteria back into your reptile's system. After a round of antibiotics or antiparasitic meds, the good bacteria is most likely at a very low level or possibly even wiped out. This is when opportunistic bacteria and fungus take hold, which can result in Yellow Fungus Disease or bacterial infections.
The good bacteria needs to be replaced in order to turn the digestive track around. I used to rely on yogurt until I found out that bearded dragons cannot properly digest dairy products. So I've switched to this fantastic product. It has a great taste that my beardies love!

I have also heard that u can purchase bee polin capsules from any health store. Just break the capsule open & sprinkle directly onto greens.

~Sandy

opi

Original Poster
Sandy,

That's interesting. I did not know that. I will buy it.

Thanks,

Ofelia

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nhacaiuytinco1
Top Bottom