Clementine the leatherback

Status
Not open for further replies.

HarleyDogDragon

Original Poster
KarrieRee":2zzowahb said:
Please look on the bulb and see what wattage -- if its the 13 watt you need to get rid of it those are killer coils -- the 26 watt is ok I have not heard anything bad about the 26 so I am posting some info on both of those bulb
the 26 watt
The 26w version of the UVB150 is similar in output to a T8 tube when using a reflector. The beam isn't as wide (depending on the length of the tube) but the output strength is very similar. If it was sitting about 6-8'' above the main basking area then it was likely providing adequate UVB. It's the lower wattage (13w) versions that cause concern since they aren't strong enough to provide adequate UVB at a safe distance.
Here is info on UVB's
Which UVB light should I use?
The best UVB light is a ReptiSun 10.0 fluorescent tube HO (Or Arcardia 12% in the UK). Compact or coil bulbs do not emit the proper amount of UVB light for a bearded dragon, and should not be used. Other brands, such as the Zilla Desert Series and ReptiGlo have been known to cause eye problems and other health issues with bearded dragons, and should be avoided. The reason that some UVB lights (Zilla, ReptiGlo, coils/compacts, ect.) are considered dangerous is because the wavelength of UVB that they emit is shorter and more intense than the wavelength of the "safe" lights (ReptiSun, Arcadia). UVB lights should be replaced every 6 months. The T5’s are a strong bulb and only need to be replaced once a year – the T 8 every 6 months--- where as the T 8 are not as strong—they need to be placed inside the tank the T 5 10.0 bulb approx 12-15 inches from basking spot – the T 8 approx 8-10 inches from basking spot—the cover needs to be off the bulb for full effect of the UVB rays--
Please get rid of the 13 if that is what it is -- go from there on what you want to do myself I would go w/ the Tube they have proven to be the best
Karrie
I really appreciate the advice! Yep it's the 13w!! Ack!
She's been under it for about a year with the previous owner. But I treat my pets like children so i already found the T5 bulb on Amazon and will be ordering. The only problem is we put her in a different (more square) tank and the lid has crossbars on it so it breaks up the ability to put a bulb there. Is there a decent bulb that fits the dome I already have hanging? I dont think the T5 is supposed to be in the cage bc it will burn her. Needs to be so many inches away and the cage isn't very tall.
To be honest I've seen some gorgeous setups here (tile, contact paper) and I'm thinking of just buying a large (75+ gallon) tank and doing it right. That way I can have the proper setup and right bulbs from the get go (since my setup doesnt seem like its conducive).

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
How long is the fixture for the UVB and how wide is the tank shes in? It doesnt haft to go length wise and can go width wise as long as she can sit underneath it ---- what size tank is the one you have her in now?
Karrie

HarleyDogDragon

Original Poster
KarrieRee":qf2efe42 said:
How long is the fixture for the UVB and how wide is the tank shes in? It doesnt haft to go length wise and can go width wise as long as she can sit underneath it ---- what size tank is the one you have her in now?
Karrie
I'm not home so not sure about the fixture. I think it's a medium dome. Its hanging from a bracket so it can be raised several inches if needed. I read the 26w reptisun is a little longer so maybe it will fit in the dome and I can raise the bracket.
The cage is 18 x 24 inches and is about 12 inches tall.
What about mercury vapor bulbs? Cost really isn't an issue.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok according to tank measurements on this site its only a 23 gallon tank ??? If that is the case she is in a tank that is way to small --- I would look at getting into a 75 gallon or a 120 gallon --- you can look on craigslist or FB marketwatch for used tanks and look for one w/ front doors -- or you can go new - it is up to you - if you go used make sure you sanitize the tank really good before use -- mercury vapor bulbs are ok but you need correct wattage and even then I am told they do not put out enough UVB so another UVB would be in order -- so it is up to you - I personally dont use them cuz of the certain distances w/ the basking temp and blah blah blah --- its just easier to have them separate that way you can adjust accordingly -- if you decide to go w/ a fixture / hood make sure it has a reflector on it and I would get a 24" fixture they seem to be the most versible to use sitting on top of the tank or inside the tank and you can use them for 75-120 gallon tanks -- anything bigger would need a longer fixture -- you dont want the same length of the tank as you want them to be able to get out of those UVB rays if they want to w/ out having to hide from the UVB -- you can use the 26 watt bulb if you want swap out the 13 for that one - make sure the dome fixture can handle the 26 watt - look inside it it will tell you -- it needs to be 8 inches from her basking spot and the dome needs to have a reflector in it - I have never looked at those domes so I dont know if they come standard that way -- my basking domes do not have a reflector in them I just use the regular bright white basking dome w/ a Exo Terra 150 watt bulb -- the 26 watt would need to be changed out in 6 months --
Karrie

HarleyDogDragon

Original Poster
KarrieRee":2qpigx4h said:
Ok according to tank measurements on this site its only a 23 gallon tank ??? If that is the case she is in a tank that is way to small --- I would look at getting into a 75 gallon or a 120 gallon --- you can look on craigslist or FB marketwatch for used tanks and look for one w/ front doors -- or you can go new - it is up to you - if you go used make sure you sanitize the tank really good before use -- mercury vapor bulbs are ok but you need correct wattage and even then I am told they do not put out enough UVB so another UVB would be in order -- so it is up to you - I personally dont use them cuz of the certain distances w/ the basking temp and blah blah blah --- its just easier to have them separate that way you can adjust accordingly -- if you decide to go w/ a fixture / hood make sure it has a reflector on it and I would get a 24" fixture they seem to be the most versible to use sitting on top of the tank or inside the tank and you can use them for 75-120 gallon tanks -- anything bigger would need a longer fixture -- you dont want the same length of the tank as you want them to be able to get out of those UVB rays if they want to w/ out having to hide from the UVB -- you can use the 26 watt bulb if you want swap out the 13 for that one - make sure the dome fixture can handle the 26 watt - look inside it it will tell you -- it needs to be 8 inches from her basking spot and the dome needs to have a reflector in it - I have never looked at those domes so I dont know if they come standard that way -- my basking domes do not have a reflector in them I just use the regular bright white basking dome w/ a Exo Terra 150 watt bulb -- the 26 watt would need to be changed out in 6 months --
Karrie

Okay getting slightly overwhelmed with the bulbs lol.
It is definitely not 23 gallons. I had her in a 40 gallon and this seems comparable. It isnt as tall but definitely had more usable lower to mid level space. It's a shame we just sold 3 extra Boaphiles we had. Oh well.
Will go on CL or FB to find used front opening tanks. If not, I found some gorgeous designer ones. Pricey but are they nice!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok if shes in a 40 gallon tank the UVB's either the 26 watt or the Reptisun bulb w/ fixture 24' will work - I have a Zen Habitat actually 2 of them -- you can go look at them - they are the PVC ones -
www.zenhabitat.com -
Karrie

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hi there,

Uvb bulbs can be quite confusing and overwhelming so let me help clear it up a bit for you :)

You have two good options when it comes to uvb bulbs. T8 bulbs or t5 bulbs. Both are adequate, the difference is the distance they need to be from the basking site to provide proper uv exposure.

A t8 10.0 bulb needs to be about 6 to 8 inches unobstructed from the basking site. This means it cant be mounted over a screen. Since a screen cuts the output, if it is mounted ontop of a screen, the dragon needs to be able to get around 5 inches from it, which really is too close.

So, t8s are good if you can mount them.under the lid, at at a distance of 6 to 8 inches from the basking site.

T5s are stronger bulbs. They need to be placed further away from the basking site than the t8s do to provide the proper exposure.
A typical t5 10% bulb will need to be mounted 12-15 inches from the basking site unobstructed. Once again, since screen cuts the output, if its placed on top of the screen it needs to be about 8 inches from the basking site. For a lot of people, mounting a t5 on the screen is the best option. Unless you have a tall tank like a 4x2x2, then mounting it inside is doable.

So you can make the t8 or the t5 work for you, it just depends on what is easiest for your setup.

-Brandon

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
And just to add, those numbers and distances are assuming the bulb is in a fixture that has a reflector on it. A reflector essential doubles the output, so if your fixture doesnt have a reflector, you need to halve the distances to make up for that.

Eg reflector t5 needs to be 12 to 15 inches away. But without a reflector it needs to be 6-8 inches away to provide the same UV level.

-Brandon

HarleyDogDragon

Original Poster
Okay, Clementine is now in her third and final cage!
Bought a used 36" x 18" x 18" Exoterra today. It is huge! We bought wood-look ceramic tile that has a bit of texture to it and cut it to fit the bottom.
The cage came with a foam wall for the back. Clementine is climbing it which I am hoping she stops because I don't want her to fall from! I may take it out but she is definitely exploring her new digs! I bought two new 75 watt basking bulbs (with reflector in the bulb) since I don't know how old the one i had from her first cage was. I also bought two 13 watt (for a total of 26 watts) ReptiSun 10.0 (I previously had one 13 watt in her cage). So she has 150 watt total basking and 26 watt UVB in a 50 gallon cage.
Note: I wanted to get her in the new cage as soon as possible (after sanitizing it) and none of my local reptile or pet stores had T5 or T8 with the fixture. I will probably get a 24" eventually.
107405-9766549346.jpg

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok so those UVB' the 13 watt are no good please take them back and get a 24" fixture w/ reflector-- then get a TUBE Reptisun 10.0 T 5-- that is one of the best UVB's on the market--- those 13 watt bulbs are killers- they do not produce the UVB you need plus the size of the tank those bulbs can't handle the job!!
Karrie

HarleyDogDragon

Original Poster
KarrieRee":3nrvxe4s said:
Ok so those UVB' the 13 watt are no good please take them back and get a 24" fixture w/ reflector-- then get a TUBE Reptisun 10.0 T 5-- that is one of the best UVB's on the market--- those 13 watt bulbs are killers- they do not produce the UVB you need plus the size of the tank those bulbs can't handle the job!!
Karrie
I just edited my post to include that none of my local stores had the fixture: just the bulb for T8s 24". Amazon didn't have shipping til Tuesday (I have Prime) so it's going to have to wait.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
So you have a T 8? That long fixture looks like a 18" ? That needs to go inside the tank approx 8-10 inches from basking spot w/ NO Cover on the bulb - needs to be exposed - get rid of the coils you dont need them --- so all you need is one good UVB of which you have it looks like and the basking bulb -- also she needs to be able to sit directly under that UVB
Karrie

HarleyDogDragon

Original Poster
KarrieRee":25shqmur said:
So you have a T 8? That long fixture looks like a 18" ? That needs to go inside the tank approx 8-10 inches from basking spot w/ NO Cover on the bulb - needs to be exposed - get rid of the coils you dont need them --- so all you need is one good UVB of which you have it looks like and the basking bulb -- also she needs to be able to sit directly under that UVB
Karrie
No its not a T8. The fixture holds 2 bulbs back to back. Will need to buy a new fixture that holds an actual tube.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok - you can look at your petstores or look here www.pangeareptiles.com get a 24" w/ a Reptisun bulb 10.0 get the T 5 bulb it's gonna come w/ a 5.0 if you order a zoomed there is a fixture for $32 on there that I think is just the fixture
Karrie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mysticsalten
Top Bottom