Cleaning problems & Solutions!

Status
Not open for further replies.

VogueStar

Hello all !! I was just curious what everyone uses to disinfect their cages?

I know some people use a dilute bleach solution to clean. I have been using a vinegar solution to wipe down my beardies cages. Although every 3-4 months I usually take everything out & soak it in some hot bleach water.
Does anyone else use vinegar or have any knowledge or experience with it? Ive read numerous articles that claim vinegar disinfects , which I believe. Iam just wondering if I should just use bleach instead. :?:

jeritta

Sub-Adult Member
i use a vinegar and water mixture on a regular basis then on a more infrequent basis we use a water/vinegar/bleach mixture. We also take the
items out of the vivs every month to 6 weeks and clean them. The ones that can go in the diswasher do with a little bleach thrown in there. the others
get washed and either out in sun to dry or in oven to dry. We also vaccum the tanks every week. We do spot cleaning everyday with baby wipes.
Hope that helps.

jeserah

Sub-Adult Member
AAAGGHHH! Don't mix bleach and vinegar. Even though it makes for a better cleaner, it releases chlorine gas which is quite poisonous. I would NOT use that around my beardie, even in low dosages.

jeritta

Sub-Adult Member
S%^&^ !!!! I thought it was just ammonia you couldn't mix with bleach. I will stop mixing that together now.

jeserah

Sub-Adult Member
Lol, no probs. Bleach is one of those sneaky snakes that likes to emit chlorine any chance it gets, I reckon. :)

BadCon

Sub-Adult Member
If you are looking for a fast acting effective disinfectant, then look no further then a vinegar hydrogen peroxide combo. Spray on one, then the other. Disinfection takes place very quickly, and you can start rinsing after 2 minutes. This combo is many times more effective then either product individually, and its rather safe to use. Vinegar releases fumes, so I wouldn't us it in the viv with the animal present. However, you don't need to go nuts rinsing like you do with bleach. Keep the products in separate spray bottles. If you mix them together, the solution will loose effectiveness after a few minutes.

VogueStar

Original Poster
Thanks for the info every1. :blob8:
I already have mine trained to go in the the bath, and I also vacuum their cages out weekly. Yet I like things very clean and if I see something that looks dirty I take it out and spray with a about a solution of about 1/4 cup vinegar and the rest water in a spray bottle, let dry and return it to the tank.I already know not to mix bleach with well anything just to be safe :p . Bleach is a sneaky snake , thats why I was curious what every1 else uses because I don't like using bleach often.
I like the idea of the vinegar hydrogen peroxide combo, separate bottles for each I understand. I have a question though about the vinegar & peroxide do I dilute these with water [if so ratio?] ? Or do I use them undiluted ...straight-up? Thanx!

RonWill

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong but when I had to thoroughly clean my aquariums, I misted 50% bleach solution, leave it, then mist with 50% white vinegar (acetic acid) and finish off with either a rinse or wiping down. Bleach, being alkaline, is neutralized by vinegar (acid), doesn't leave that slimey feeling and I've not lost a fish using this method.

If BDs don't like the scent of vinegar, I'll go think of something else.

Cheers,
RW

VogueStar

Original Poster
Hmm... I would think if you sprayed bleach & did not rinse ... then sprayed vinegar on top that it would not be good.For the above stated reason you cannot mix bleach and vinegar without creating cholrine gas! IDK if thats what your were saying... :|
I do know that if you have calcium deposits on your glass tanks, that you can use straight vinegar [in a spray bottle]. First you saturate the whole thing and let it sit for about five minutes then get something and lightly scrub away , rinse and repeat until it is dry clear like new! I just did this with a tank and I did not think it would work very well. But it did to my surprise! I don't know if this helps with the slimy'ness ....I'm sure it would though. :blob8: :blob8: :blob8:

BadCon

Sub-Adult Member
Vinegar is fairly noxious and caustic. Some people don't seem to be bothered by it, but others have serious reactions around it. I'd play it safe, and avoid using vinegar in direct proximity to our scaly friends. In the closed confines of a viv, it wouldn't take much for it to irritate the lungs and eyes of a dragon. I personally can't be in the same room when someone sprays vinegar...and I'm not a 1lb reptile.

Bleach needs to be rinsed, and NEVER absolutely NEVER mix it with vinegar. Once again, humans can walk away from the smell, but a dragon is closed up in the viv with it. There are a million different alternatives...there is simply no reason to mix these two products. 10% bleach solution is more then effective at killing all sorts of pathogens in a reasonably short amount of time. Follow up with some rinses, and you'll be good to go.

If you want something you can use directly in the viv with the dragon, then pick up some chlorhexidine gluconate. $25 a gallon for concentrate, which then makes 64 gallons of disinfectant. Reasonably effective, not caustic, and no noxious fumes. You can even use it as a wound wash. The mixed solution cleans glass very well, and you can use it around your animal. Only thing you don't want them to do is drink it.
Another alternative that was mentioned on this board is Star San...the type commonly used by brewers. No fumes, extremely effective (very short contact time too!), and it doesn't need heavy rinsing (wipe down with a damp towel after roughly 2 minutes of contact time). Very cheap, and it has a long shelf life.

VogueStar

Original Poster
Good to know. I will have to read up some :study: on this "Star San", sounds like it could be a good tool to have in the box.Ive never cleaned my cages with my beardies inside them, so its no issue for me there. I always clean them and let them air out a bit before returning my beardies. :blob5:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
milosmom
Top Bottom