Clayton turned black

Status
Not open for further replies.

adkpugmom

Hatchling Member
My baby Clayton is dark today and not moving much. They didnt have medium crickets so we bought large. They were not very large for large crickets but were bigger then what he usually eats. Did this make him sick ? I also saw he had something coming out of his one nostril and I took a kleenex to get it off. Or is this normal.. ?

mischa

Juvie Member
What are your temps?(Basking, Cool side, Ambient).
What is the humidity?
What are you using to measure the temps(digital,dial)
Do you have a UVB/UVA bulb? What brand?
What substrate are you using?
Are you using a calcium and vitamin supplement? How often?

adkpugmom

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
e your temps?(Basking, Cool side, Ambient).
What is the humidity?
What are you using to measure the temps(digital,dial)
Do you have a UVB/UVA bulb? What brand?
What substrate are you using?
Are you using a calcium and vitamin supplement? How often?

temp is dial , im buying digital tonight says 105
humid today
uvb coil 10.0 reptisun
tile floor
calcium daily on crickets

mischa

Juvie Member
Yes they shed and beardies shed the inside of their nostrils. What did the thing coming out of you beardies nose look like?

adkpugmom

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
It looked like plastic ....i bought zoomed digital I have the probe.on his rock its 92.8 , I also bought zilla tube light ...it flickers kinda is this normal ?

ShannyBeard

Extreme Poster
adkpugmom":1vl6ef6i said:
It looked like plastic ....i bought zoomed digital I have the probe.on his rock its 92.8 , I also bought zilla tube light ...it flickers kinda is this normal ?
How long did you leave the probe in place? Needs to be there at least 30 and even 45 minutes to give an accurate temp.

The Zilla lights are poor quality and if it is flickering it could be defective. OR your fixture could be defective. The only way to know is to get a better quality bulb, a ReptiSUN 10.0 and see if that flickers. If so replace your fixture. Is it one of the long linear tubes?

adkpugmom

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Yes I had coil then bought zilla long tube fixture and now need to return that too grrrrr.... I will buy walmart fixture with reptisun tube light ....and command hooks....someday I hope to get it right for my baby :(

ShannyBeard

Extreme Poster
adkpugmom":1r3tn1jn said:
Yes I had coil then bought zilla long tube fixture and now need to return that too grrrrr.... I will buy walmart fixture with reptisun tube light ....and command hooks....someday I hope to get it right for my baby :(

How long did you leave the sensor part of the thermometer on the basking surface to get that low 90 something degree temp? This is more important than the UVB right now.

adkpugmom

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I have the reptisun now 10.0 tube...basking is 102 now cool 75 .. Im using 150 light bulb in a 40 gal tank.. should I up it to a 200 bulb ?

ShannyBeard

Extreme Poster
adkpugmom":3xt8ho31 said:
I have the reptisun now 10.0 tube...basking is 102 now cool 75 .. Im using 150 light bulb in a 40 gal tank.. should I up it to a 200 bulb ?

Nope, keep that bulb. What is the basking surface? A ladder, branch, log or what? If you can get him an inch or 2 closer to the light (higher up) I bet your temp would be perfect. This is a minute adjustment and it's not a good idea to start over with a higher wattage to just bring the temp up a few degrees.

GOOD JOB on the ReptiSUN 10.0 :blob5: :blob5: :blob5:

ShannyBeard

Extreme Poster
adkpugmom":1381rqq9 said:
ty so much my basking temp is now 114 !! too high for a baby ??? :study:

What kind of thermometer are you using? Seems awful fast to get a temp of 114 when you just had 102 unless the thermometer was still getting a reading. With a sensor accurite they say to leave it in place 30-45 minutes to get an accurate read.

Hard to advise without that info - let me know

Did you make any adjustments to get it to 114 or was it still climbing up?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
New & NoClue
Top Bottom