Cinder laid 21 eggs!

Status
Not open for further replies.

tundradragons

Hatchling Member
Hello all,

I've been doing my research for over 2 years now and decided I wanted to breed my two dragons, this is my first attempt at breeding a lizard so I'm quite excited. (I've hatched ducks and raised them to adulthood in an incubator I built when I was like 15) cinder laid 21 eggs on Tuesday night at midnight (darn her and her night owl self) and I transferred them from her lay tub to my incubator with temps set at 84 deg. I will be culling down to 12 eggs in 2 weeks, I want to see which eggs do best and will cull out the ones that don't seem to be doing as good as the others and will be freezing the ones I cull out so we dont have any dump lizards.

This is a pic of my female cinder she's a red flame/foxfire red x red tiger/cawley red (tamarack lizards). one hot tamale

cinderbath2.jpg

And this is a pic of my male spike, he's my first beardie, I bought him at local pet store so I do not know his exact lineage but I liked his disposition so I'm hoping some of his attitude will come through on the babies. plus he has great yellow color!

spikebath2.jpg

For the record, I'm not doing this for money, I love both my dragons and some friends have told me they would like to get a beardie themselves after visiting with my two, so I figured what would be better than breeding my babies and giving my friends the joy of one of their offspring.

I would one day like to do a breeding project for the darker colors that I have seen displayed in some beardies on the internet, (black / blue / maroon) since everyone seems to breed for whites, yellows, oranges, reds, and translucents, I'd like to go the other route and see if i can breed to a mostly if not solid black dragon.

I'll post some pics of the eggs once I get my butt in gear and take some.

i know this is the best resource site on the web for beardies so I'm excited to post this here and I'm sure I'll get all the support i expect from my beardie peers.

For those of you who feel the need to post on how I shouldn't breed beardies due to saturated markets and such, I'm not here to flood the market, I'm here to experience the wonder of breeding. I'm not going to hatch every egg my female lays, that's not natural and I don't want to have to find homes for 100 baby dragons. 10 is enough to worry about. but I appreciate your concern for the species and your vigilance is heartening to see.

I'm very excited about this and I hope you all will share in my fun and joy.

thanks for lookin,

Charles

spyder79

Extreme Poster
congrats on the eggs. what i want to comment on is your future project. it would be awesome if more people were breeding for a true melanistic dragon. problem is it costs so much to get the right breeders to start producing dragons closer and closer to black. BloodBank produced 1 almost black dragon and i think his price tag was around 4000

tundradragons

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Thanks guys,

I know a true 100% black dragon is almost impossible in the states, maybe period, we just don't currently have the bloodlines here to create such an animal reliably from what I can tell. but getting a 80% black lizard clutch would be my goal. I know bellies are gonna be hard to get truly black. I've yet to see a belly that's darker than a light Grey lol. when I was in Australia in 01' i saw a handful of very dark dragons(id say they were black with a tint of red but that might have been the dirt) in the wild. which is why i want one myself. and since i can't seem to find an affordable one in the states and I'm not paying $1000-$4000 for a black dragon. I'll have more fun breeding to it anyhow.

The hard part for me is going to be keeping more than a handful of permanent breeders, I have limited funds and space for the project which will make my time scale pretty long.

well i better go do some house work, gotta keep the girl happy so i can get another lizard. :)

Charles

Poisoned1

Gray-bearded Member
You are not going to get a lot of criticism on this board for what you did.

1. You did your research.
2. You are not asking for help you know what you did.
3. You know who you are going to give your beardies to
4. You are not trying to make a quick buck.

I like people like you :)

tundradragons

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
well,

I don't have homes for 9-10 of my eggs, but I feel that it will not be all that difficult for me to find homes for the few babies I do not already have homes for. according to the research I've been doing, my dragon laid late in the season so when my babies are coming of age to go to homes there shouldn't be too saturated of a market for me to sell or give away a dozen. Christmas beardies for some kids I think if I have the timescale right, (first time and all so i'm a bit green. lol)

not saying I wouldn't like to make a quick buck either, I just know it's not likely to happen, although breaking even would be nice. lol

i think when i am ready to begin my main project, I'd like to collaborate with a handful of hobby breeders to share genetics on the road to the black dragon, i don't know what anyone would think of a project of that scale, or if anyone would even want to join my project, but having multiple different bloodlines to work from, and basically trading babies with other breeders to diversify lines and breed to the darkest dragons possible, we may be able to co-breed to a truly melanistic dragon without one person spending hundreds of thousands on breeders.

There i go rambling again, lol, another 47-67 days to go till my first hatch baring cat tastrophe. sometimes I wonder how you guys can wait so long. lol I'm sure once my babies hatch I'll know why we do. but until then I'm pulling my hair out I'm so excited lol.

i think I'm gonna go take some pics of the eggs, I know you all like pics and it gives me a reason to go look at them again today.

till later,

Charles

tundradragons

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
OK, so I promised I'd get my butt off the couch and put up some pics of the eggs.

egg tub #1
eggtub1.jpg

egg tub #2
eggtub2.jpg

egg tub #3
eggtub3.jpg

egg tub #4
eggtub4.jpg

egg tub #5 (the loner)
eggtub5.jpg

like i said previously I will be culling down to 12 or so eggs, so i have a manageable number of babies to care for.

so excited!!!!!

charles

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sohaiko
Top Bottom