Chubora!

Status
Not open for further replies.

haleygirl272

Sub-Adult Member
This is pronounced Chub-er-uh, and that's what I call my chubby ZINGER!! :roll:

Ok, Zinger's diet is boring, crickets, romaine lettuce, collard greens, occasional wax worms. Big whoop. :)
So, I want to SPICE :twisted: up his life and get him some new goodies to eat without spending millions, lol :lol: He's barely 5 mos. He's 15 inches long, what else should he eat? I wish i could feed him supers! :roll:

chels1983

Yea, my little guy is awfully chubby too :)

I wouldn't feed him romaine, it doesn't have enough nutritional value, but collard greens are good :)

My vet told me that the more variety you can give them, the healthier they will be. I usually do some kind of greens with veggies (shredded squash, carrots, broccoli, etc) and occasionally through some fruit in there (mine really love raspberries, grapes, and blueberries) Here is a great site with just about any food you can think of for your beardie with the nutrition content: http://www.beautifuldragons.503xtreme.com/Nutrition.html

Have you tried feeding any other types of worms? You could try butterworms, phoenix worms or silkworms.
Mulberry farms is a good online supplier: http://www.mulberryfarms.com/

I normally stay away from the hard-bodied worms completely (mealworms, superworms). When I used to use them, it would take FOREVER for my beardie to poo, they are a lot harder to digest.

haleygirl272

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
chels1983":c9633 said:
Yea, my little guy is awfully chubby too :)

I wouldn't feed him romaine, it doesn't have enough nutritional value, but collard greens are good :)

My vet told me that the more variety you can give them, the healthier they will be. I usually do some kind of greens with veggies (shredded squash, carrots, broccoli, etc) and occasionally through some fruit in there (mine really love raspberries, grapes, and blueberries) Here is a great site with just about any food you can think of for your beardie with the nutrition content: http://www.beautifuldragons.503xtreme.com/Nutrition.html

Have you tried feeding any other types of worms? You could try butterworms, phoenix worms or silkworms.
Mulberry farms is a good online supplier: http://www.mulberryfarms.com/

I normally stay away from the hard-bodied worms completely (mealworms, superworms). When I used to use them, it would take FOREVER for my beardie to poo, they are a lot harder to digest.

Thanks so much! I dont believe in ordering live feeders online! they ALWAYS DIE!!!!

I was told that all lettuces are bad except romaine, was that incorrect? :shock:

If it is....MY POOR BABY!!!!

Catalyst

BD.org Addict
Romaine isn't exactly bad, the problem is that it's also not good. It's mostly water, little nutritional value for your dragon, and some animals also come to like it a lot and so will ignore the better greens that are available to them. Better dark leafy greens include collards, dandelion greens, endive, escarole, turnip greens and mustard greens.

As mentioned, silkworms, pheonix worms, butter worms and horn worms are all great for adding variety to your guy's diet, although you may have difficulty acquiring some of those if you don't order online. You'll be able to offer him superworms pretty soon too.

I have ordered 90% of my live feeders online and have no problem with dead worms etc, when I buy from petsmart most of them die so fast like wax worms! Just got some phoenix worms from PW.com they are perfect! will order from them again and again! :D

haleygirl272

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
LillyandRuby":f7d69 said:
I have ordered 90% of my live feeders online and have no problem with dead worms etc, when I buy from petsmart most of them die so fast like wax worms! Just got some phoenix worms from PW.com they are perfect! will order from them again and again! :D

Thanks so much! I'll definately order there! :blob5:

dmuehl

I received my phoenix worms from them this week. I didn't have any issues with dead PWs. All of my beardies loved them ... no one was a picky eater when I presented them.

dobiegil2000

Hatchling Member
If you want to add spice to your beardies diet, you might want to try hornworms. I usually get the small to medium ones (given extras incase of doas) and my guys literally go crazy for them. Reggie will jump for his. They are suppose to be excellent in nutritional value, but can be pricey, but for an occassional treat they are great.

Hope this helps.

haleygirl272

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
dobiegil2000":7bf1e said:
If you want to add spice to your beardies diet, you might want to try hornworms. I usually get the small to medium ones (given extras incase of doas) and my guys literally go crazy for them. Reggie will jump for his. They are suppose to be excellent in nutritional value, but can be pricey, but for an occassional treat they are great.

Hope this helps.

How messy are these...hornworms? lol :lol:
Jasper's Mom":7bf1e said:
Jasper was a big fan of shredded butternut squash, raspberries, and fresh basil. :D
Yea, Zing doesn't like butternut squash, ill try the basil for shure!

frog

Sub-Adult Member
haleygirl272":2dd9e said:
How messy are these...hornworms? lol :lol:

I've fed hornworms before and they LOOOOOOOVE them! one of my geckos even stopped eating his phoenix worms for like two weeks after he got a taste of those! he would only eat them! but dont worry, he started eating them again soon :lol: some hornworms may have a little *juice* squirt out while being fed. they are very easy to take care of in their cup (i get mine from Great lakes hornworm :wink: ) because they already have food in it. just empty out the waste.

BTW- i think they are really pretty! i enjoy having them :mrgreen:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tlpowell718
Top Bottom