Chief Not Sleeping :( worried daddy *back to normal now* :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChiefsDaddy

Gray-bearded Member
Hi all!

I am very worried as this is Chief's 2nd night without sleeping a full night. A little back story first. On Monday, my wife found a small (10") "baby" snake in her office at work and brought it home. We did not know what kind it was and decided that we would take it to the reptile store to get identified after work (it turned out to be a fully grown adult Crowned Snake). Coincidentally, Chief leash/harness arrived that afternoon. We decided to take Chief along to the pet store as well. The owner is also the breeder and thought it would be nice to pass by and show him how fast Chief is growing. This was Chief's first time on a leash and also his first car ride. To be honest, he was a little freaked out, but not too bad really. It was a quick ride there and a quick ride back. He kind of wanted out of his leash right as we were getting back home. I set him free and he was his regular self, running around and having a good time. I fed him a waxworm for being a good boy at the store. After a little freedom time, I put him back in his cage and tried to feed him his Reptiworm dinner. He was being difficult and turned his nose at them, he wouldn't even take one from my hand. I tried again a couple of times that night, and he was not interested. He was just being a brat. When his lights turned off, he realized that he would go without eating if he kept up the attitude, and decided to eat at this time (kinda late, I know). After eating, I removed his food bowl and he hid under his rock and did his little relaxed wiggle butt thing he does before sleeping. He never goes in his hide or hides under his rock (he normally sleeps on his hammock). We figure he was mad at us for the stressful afternoon and left him alone. He laid there for a while, but never actually went to sleep. I woke up throughout the night and he was never sleeping when I checked on him. I hoped it was a one time thing, and continued on. Next day, he acted normal, ate fine (3 meals a day), pooped fine. Just being his regular old self. I took him out in the afternoon and he seemed tired, so I wrapped him in his blankie and let him fall asleep a little early. I let him sleep for an hour or two outside his cage until it was time to go back. I thought for sure he would sleep last night, but that was not the case. :( Yet again, he was up all night long. I woke up super early this morning and took him out. I let him rest on me and talked to him softly and petted him until he finally fell asleep. Again, I let him sleep for a few hours to regain what he had lost. This morning yet again, he ate fine. He does have a red heat lamp that stay on at night in his cage, but he has been sleeping fine with it there since day one. Never had a problem with it. But tonight, I'm going to let him sleep without the light and see what happens.

So a couple of options here:
He all of a sudden hates his heat lamp and it is not letting him sleep (very possible as he does fall asleep outside)
He doesn't like that we brought home a snake (seems kind of unlikely to me, he didn't seem to dislike the sanke, but he could be jealous)
He is still mad at being put in a leash and driven around (he does not seem mad at me at all and still likes to cuddle with his daddy)
Or it another problem with his cage altogether that I haven't figured out yet

What do you guys think could be wrong with him?

Here's a little info:
Chief is two months old. I haven't measured or weighed him in a while, but he is about 12 inches long now :shock:
I think he is male, but I really don't know. Sometimes, I can see two bumps, sometimes I can't, so I'm waiting until he is a juvi and has better developed parts
He has a 29 gallon tank, repticarpet as substrate (I clean cage at least once a week), ReptiSUN 10.0 tube <1mo old, 75w basking bulb, 110F Basking Spot, 80F cool side, taken with acurite digital therm w/probe
He's currently being fed turnip greens and squash (He eats his veggies every morning, except today :( ) and medium Reptiworms 3x a day. I dust with multivitamin 2x a week, and calcium+d3 once a week.
He poops at least once a day, sometimes twice
I bathe him about 2-3 times a week, I only mist when he is shedding

MissT

BD.org Addict
Is he covered when the light is on at night? I use a blue night light (I know, very very naughty lol) but as long as Kazi is well covered with a DARK coloured blankie then he sleeps just fine - he did wake up and start wandering around a couple of weeks ago - I had forgotten to check that the light was not getting through his blankie :S

You say he is sleeping through the day and sleeping on you? Perhaps he wants cuddles. If you dont already, take him out tonight, wrap him in his blankie and let him fall asleep on you to see if that helps any. Then, when you put him in, make sure the light is not shining through his blankie and make sure his head is pointing away from the light.

ChiefsDaddy

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
He doesn't normally sleep with his blankie on. The way his hammock is positioned it will just slide off of him. His blankie is more for when he outside with me and wants to cuddle.

He's not sleeping THROUGH the day, like his sleep schedule flipped or anything, but we will sleep if I take him out to cuddle. He slept from about 4:45-6:30PM yesterday outside with me. And again this morning, I took him out and let him sleep from about 5:00-8:30AM till I had to leave for work.

I will definitely, try letting him fall asleep on me tonight and put him back in after his lights are off. I am keeping the red light off. The only reason I bought that and not a CHE, is because I wanted to be able to see him at night and make sure he is OK. Kind of a selfish reason, so I'm willing to reg rid of it for his sake. I don't set the AC any lower than 73 at night (usually more like 75), and he is away from AC vents, so I'm sure the nighttime temp will be fine. I'll keep his blankie on him for added warmth. :)

Edit: with the red lamp on, it keeps the temps about 80 at night

MissT

BD.org Addict
ChiefsDaddy":3takcla4 said:
He's not sleeping THROUGH the day, like his sleep schedule flipped or anything, but we will sleep if I take him out to cuddle. He slept from about 4:45-6:30PM yesterday outside with me. And again this morning, I took him out and let him sleep from about 5:00-8:30AM till I had to leave for work.

Im sorry, I meant to say DURING the day! OOPS! :D

You never know - he may just want to be wrapped up and in complete darkness. Kazi does not sleep if he doesnt have his blankie and Huff will go and do his wriggle before his blankie goes in but he never closes his eyes until I cover him up. Phoebe is the only one who will find her own place to sleep and sleep regardless of how much light there is!

I know what you mean about wanting to check on him - I check on everyone before I go to sleep - they are all just set on blankies and then covered over rather than a full burrito so its easy to just lift the blankie and check. I position Kazi's blanket over him so that I can peek in on him without disturbing him throughout the night!

If he is in his blanket and you fancy taking a peek on him, just switch the light on for a few minutes and gently uncover him :D

I hope Chief gets a good sleep tonight!!!

ChiefsDaddy

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
Thanks!

I am hoping that it's just the light and not something more serious or somehow he got freaked out by the leash/car ride/pet store to the point where he's afraid to go to sleep. I just can't imagine that would be it. He seems so normal otherwise.

MissT

BD.org Addict
Just one other thing - have you had a vet check and fecal test run? Just to rule out there being any nasties in his tummy :D

MissT

BD.org Addict
Hope Chief gets some sleep tonight... I think he may have been talking to Kazi- it's now an hour past bed time and Kazi had no intentions of sleeping!!!

ChiefsDaddy

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
It's all part of the beardie world domination plot :shock:

Hope Kazi gets some sleep soon.

EmilyRussom

Juvie Member
Oh crap - dragon world domination is back!

I wish Chief the best night's sleep ever! I would imagine that that he simply got overstimulated during the course of his big day out. At least, that's my hope! Night Night little guy!

ChiefsDaddy

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
I actually just brought him out to play and he went straight for my dark guest room, found a nice spot next to a nice fluffy bean bag and got comfy. I'm going to let him do what he wants and catch up on some sleep.

EmilyRussom

Juvie Member
Awwww, sweet little Chief!

Tiki usually hauls tail under our bookshelf to nap once she tires herself out running like an Olympic sprinter.

ChiefsDaddy

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
So far so good. I just turned off all the lights in the house. The TV is very quiet. I picked him up from his dark little corner and put him in his viv, sans heat lamp. He barely moved. Went right back to sleep. I laid his little blankie over him. He's getting so big, he's going to need a new blankie soon.

MissT

BD.org Addict
Hooray!!! Hope he slept well all night! Kazi eventually went to sleep about 2 hours after bed time!!

They do like to keep us guessing!

ChiefsDaddy

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
Last night was a success! Chief slept 12 HOURS!!! :shock: He's still sleeping, but his light should be coming on any minute now.

Now, to hope this continues. I will no longer be using a night lamp. The temp went from 80 to 76 overnight, which I think is reasonable. I may buy him a CHE for the winter only.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rollerboy
Top Bottom