CHEAPEST place to get crickets

Status
Not open for further replies.

360waves123

Hatchling Member
can anyone link me a website with the absolute cheapest crickets no bulk !. and website with good prices for crickets that offer free shipping. PLEASE POST THE CHEAPEST CRICKETS

Sauzo

Sub-Adult Member
Only thing I can really say is Bing or Google crickets for sale or check Craigslist for maybe a breeder around you. I can say that a pet shop would the most expensive though :p

Just a word of caution, here. Cheapest is not always the best way to go for your pet`s health. You may be paying a lower price, but you`ll almost certainly be getting old product and a higher death rate during shipping not to mention a shorter life span while you have them. Do your math! If you`re paying a bargain price of 5 or 6 cents each and half of them are dead within a week or two, then you`re actually paying as much as 11 or 12 cents a piece! Also, older crickets (the one`s you`ll usually get at a `good price`) make a lot more noise, smell worse, and have less nutritional value and more chitin (or extoskeleton) than younger crickets. If your pet is not old or large enough to handle older crickets, be even more careful since impaction would be a real concern for your pet.
Carefully read their guarantee policy, delivery policy, and live arrival policy. If they don`t have these, you`d be wise to shop elsewhere.
I`ve been raising/breeding and selling live feeders for reptiles and exotic in Canada (Ontario) at both the retail and wholesale level, and while I only sell what I'd feed my own pet, others consider it just a business. If you're in Canada, don't hesitate to contact me. I'll be glad to help any way I can...although I don't sell crickets, I'll be happy to assist you in finding a reputable supplier.

The Worm Lady
Annie Brenner
[email protected]

Gail

BD.org Addict
Live feeders are usually shipped overnight so you won't find free shipping. Even paying shipping though, its cheaper to buy in bulk online then from a pet store. Check reptilefood.com or ebay.

icelore

Juvie Member
Cheapest I've found is Flukers. 1000 1/2 in crickets for $17 shipped.

Other places people frequent is Armstrongs, Georgia Crickets, Ghann's Cricket Farm, premiumcrickets.com, or cricketsdirect.com. I check the prices of all the major farms every month before ordering, but FLukers is usually the place I order from. Sometimes you can find a good deal on amazon as well though.

Chest different sizes and amounts before you buy though! For instance, where as 1k 1/2in crickets were cheapest at Flukers last time I ordered, 2k 1in crickets were cheapest with Georgia Crickets.

icelore

Juvie Member
beastiesmommy":1a6uvg0j said:
Cheapest is not always the best way to go for your pet`s health. You may be paying a lower price, but you`ll almost certainly be getting old product and a higher death rate during shipping not to mention a shorter life span while you have them. Do your math! If you`re paying a bargain price of 5 or 6 cents each and half of them are dead within a week or two, then you`re actually paying as much as 11 or 12 cents a piece! Also, older crickets (the one`s you`ll usually get at a `good price`) make a lot more noise, smell worse, and have less nutritional value and more chitin (or extoskeleton) than younger crickets. If your pet is not old or large enough to handle older crickets, be even more careful since impaction would be a real concern for your pet.
If you have live crickets and half are dead in two weeks, I would say that's a husbandry issue and not a shipping/source issue, wouldn't you?

Also, I've never head of a beardie becoming impacted from crickets, assuming that they have the availability of proper basking temperatures. I'd definitely be interested in hearing more about the dangers of crickets though considering that crickets are the most common staples.

It might be husbandry, perhaps, but usually if it's really cheap, then they're often old stock that the seller is wanting to get off his hands. Crickets are hardy but they can only spend so much time in a shipping box without adequate food and moisture before they start dying off -- and it's usually shortly after you've received them!
The problem with impaction from crickets comes when the size of the cricket is not properly taken into consideration. Feeding a non adult beardie (or other lizard) crickets that are too big is not good - just because they can wolf them down doesn't mean they should be given them to eat. The younger crickets don`t have as much chitin as the older and larger crickets, so go by the size of the cricket making sure it`s not longer than the space between your beardie`s eyes.
Hope this helps... Give Ridley a little snuggle for me!

Annie
The Worm Lady

Sauzo

Sub-Adult Member
About the only bad thing I heard about crickets is that they can have pinworms which in turn can be passed to your beardie if they eat the crickets and of course that crickets aren't exactly the most meaty insect.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
s4mclain
Top Bottom