CHE help please!

Status
Not open for further replies.

XtinaBeardieMom

Juvie Member
Hello everyone... it's going to be getting cold where I live within the next few months, so I'm trying to prepare beforehand with a CHE set-up. I have two dragons, each in their own 75gal (48"x18"x21") glass tanks with screen tops. When it gets cold, we usually have the heater on during the day & I have my basking/heat bulbs on a dimmer so I'll be able to adjust that as needed. However, at night we turn the heater off because it gets stuffy, so my indoor temps will fall anywhere from 50-60 degrees fahrenheit. Soooo questions...

1. What wattage CHE should I get considering the size of my tanks and potential ambient temps?
2. I've heard that you can't of shouldn't put a CHE on a dimmer. Is this true? Why?
3. I've also heard there's very specific fixtures you can or can't use with a CHE. I know I need one with a ceramic socket, which makes sense. I also know that the fixture will need to be rated for the correct wattage. What else do I need to take into consideration to get the correct fixtures?
4. Should I set the timer for the CHE to come on immediately after my basking lights go off, and turn off right before my basking lights come back on in the morning? Or should I leave some time in between?
5. I usually cover my dragons' tanks with a blankie at night to block out light and sound. This obviously won't be possible if I have a CHE running. We stay up later than the dragons, and we're not particularly loud but we have the TV on until we go to bed. The dragon tanks aren't even in the same room... the TV is on in the living room downstairs, and the dragons are upstairs but it's a loft-type room that has two sides open to the rest of the house. Will they be able to rest uncovered for a few months? If not, what can I do? I can't move their tanks because nowhere else in the house can handle the electrical output needs without overloading the circuits.
6. What nighttime temperature range am I aiming to hit with the CHE? Between 65 and ...?
7. Where do I place the CHE on top of the screen lid? On one side to create a gradient like the basking light? Or closer to the middle to keep the temps more even? My dragons usually sleep right around their basking spots.

Sorry for the bombardment of questions, but I want to do this right! Thanks to everyone in advance :D

ShannyBeard

Extreme Poster
1. What wattage CHE should I get considering the size of my tanks and potential ambient temps? This is from ZooMed's site Item Number: CE-150 Wattage: 150W Gal Size: 50-100 Gal (They recommend a 150 watt for a 50-100 gallon tank http://www.zoomed.com/db/products/EntryDetail.php?EntryID=29&DatabaseID=2&SearchID=1&SearchContext=YTo3OntzOjg6IlNlYXJjaElEIjtzOjE6IjEiO3M6MTA6IkRhdGFiYXNlSUQiO3M6MToiMiI7czo3OiJLZXl3b3JkIjtzOjI2OiJIZWF0aW5nL1RoZXJtb3N0YXRzL0dhdWdlcyI7czoxNToiUHJvZHVjdENhdGVnb3J5IjtzOjc6IkhlYXRpbmciO3M6NzoiSGVhZGluZyI7czo5OiJUZXJyYXJpdW0iO3M6ODoiU2VhcmNoX3giO3M6MToiMCI7czo4OiJTZWFyY2hfeSI7czoxOiIwIjt9

2. I've heard that you can't of shouldn't put a CHE on a dimmer. Is this true? Why? The package instructions for my CHE says you can't use it with a dimmer but it does not say why.
3. I've also heard there's very specific fixtures you can or can't use with a CHE. I know I need one with a ceramic socket, which makes sense. I also know that the fixture will need to be rated for the correct wattage. What else do I need to take into consideration to get the correct fixtures? The package instructions for my CHE just says to use a ceramic socket fixture so I use the Fluckers ones and haven't had any problems.
4. Should I set the timer for the CHE to come on immediately after my basking lights go off, and turn off right before my basking lights come back on in the morning? Or should I leave some time in between? I have never used a CHE with a timer, but it takes almost no time for the actual CHE to heat up. I've never used one on a tank that large, though, so I am unsure what to tell you
5. I usually cover my dragons' tanks with a blankie at night to block out light and sound. This obviously won't be possible if I have a CHE running. We stay up later than the dragons, and we're not particularly loud but we have the TV on until we go to bed. The dragon tanks aren't even in the same room... the TV is on in the living room downstairs, and the dragons are upstairs but it's a loft-type room that has two sides open to the rest of the house. Will they be able to rest uncovered for a few months? If not, what can I do? I can't move their tanks because nowhere else in the house can handle the electrical output needs without overloading the circuits. You can cover your actual dragons with a small piece of fleece or small soft towel that is dark colored.
6. What nighttime temperature range am I aiming to hit with the CHE? Between 65 and ...? Between 65*F and 70*F
7. Where do I place the CHE on top of the screen lid? On one side to create a gradient like the basking light? Or closer to the middle to keep the temps more even? My dragons usually sleep right around their basking spots. I put mine directly over where the dragon sleeps. You do not need to heat the whole tank, just the area around the dragon.

Sorry for the bombardment of questions, but I want to do this right! Thanks to everyone in advance I hope I helped you :D

XtinaBeardieMom

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Thank you SO much ShannyBeard... I know this was really long and drawn out, and I really appreciate you answering each one of my questions as thoroughly as possible - much help, thank you!!! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
syddersspams
Top Bottom