changing to MVB - does it make them more active and eat more

Status
Not open for further replies.

luvthydragon

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Zarandme":96dcd said:
Ok well I am going to jump into this topic becausse I have a few questions as well. From what I understand, the previous owner of Darzil just had him in a window rather than giving him a uvb light. So slowly but surely we are making a lot of changes, but only a few at a time so we don't freak him out too much.

Would it be best to have 2 different lights one for the uvb and one for the basking? or would one floresent tube and a basking light be better. I am a new owner so I have a lot of questions ( :oops: ) but I normally find the answer here... :D

Thanks every one who posts for all of your help!!!
Kara

Hi there-

I am no expert - just got my first BD a few months back. Lighting is a very complicated thing to describe....and I've read several opinions on it. The best information that I found came from ReptileUV.com and there are some great videos with graphs and such. Great web-site and I ordered from him because he really seems to know alot.....the bulb is on back-order so I got the T-rex just for now and when the Megaray comes in I will swap it and use the T-rex for a Back-up bulb. I'm not sure about the dome fixture but I chose to use one......I think it has to do with the type of top you have on your encloser too. Sorry I can't help you further but I don't want to give you bad info.

Gary251":96dcd said:
See for the MVB do u NEED to have a dome fixture? and if you dont is it better to have one? and if i got an MVB im assuming I wouldnt need my reptisun 10.0 anymore correct?

Again I'm not the best source of info - Not sure that you NEED to have the dome....maybe a more experienced member can give you the pro's and con's on that. I'd be curious to find out too.

kski

Hatchling Member
I'm gonna go ahead and hijack this one too. I have a 4X2X2 tank and I'm wondering if the Megaray would give off the same amount of light throughout the whole tank like my 36" Reptisun 10 tube does, and I mean both UVB and general light. Would I have to buy 2 Megaray's to keep the tank as bright?

Gary251

Ive heard that people with mega rays just buy ordinary lighttubes (similar to the ones we use now) except they dont emit UVB just light obv.

neecie

Juvie Member
To everyone writing on this subject................know it's probably been listed before - BUT, where is the best price for this expensive bulb?? should I shop stores, or is online better even with shipping. Thanx

kski

Hatchling Member
He is obviously looking for an MVB. And I believe the most expensive one is the Megaray. It's in one of the earlier posts on this thread. Reptileuv.com or something like that is the website. Just look at an earlier post.

Gary251

yup, bargain eh. just adds more light instead of just having one bulb trying to light the viv. Someone said to me they use 2.

h0ndap0w3r

Sub-Adult Member
Just think of the MVB as a normal flood light. . . the light/heat is concentrated over a smaller area. This is why people use other lights for additional light. The mvb delievers all the UVB you should need. my dragons dont have out to much on the cool side of their tank so i dont see the need for using another UVB tube light.

In my tanks i use an MVB on one end for the basking spot, on the other end i just use a regular energy saver bulb for extra light. Keep in mind i do have a 40gallon breeder tank and the mvb puts my basking spot at about 100-110 and the cool side around 80-85. the energy saver bulbs dont give off much if any heat so it doesnt effect nething.

LittleRob

Hatchling Member
h0ndap0w3r":a40b8 said:
Just think of the MVB as a normal flood light. . . the light/heat is concentrated over a smaller area. This is why people use other lights for additional light. The mvb delievers all the UVB you should need. my dragons dont have out to much on the cool side of their tank so i dont see the need for using another UVB tube light.

In my tanks i use an MVB on one end for the basking spot, on the other end i just use a regular energy saver bulb for extra light. Keep in mind i do have a 40gallon breeder tank and the mvb puts my basking spot at about 100-110 and the cool side around 80-85. the energy saver bulbs dont give off much if any heat so it doesnt effect nething.
What watt mvb do you have?

h0ndap0w3r

Sub-Adult Member
LittleRob":3209d said:
h0ndap0w3r":3209d said:

What watt mvb do you have?

i used a 100 watt T rex bulb from petmountain.com. . . they were on sale and the whole set up with the deep dome ran me about 70 shipped to my door. I think its prob about the same, if not cheaper then running a basking bulb and getting a florescent tube, and you get more uvb.

make sure you use calcium without D3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lunalane827
Top Bottom