Changes color?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Omunall

I have a very young dragon, it's abou 5" long, just shy of it.

I saw a post earlier that showed a dragon before shed and after. The colors of the before shed were dark brown, but after was a green and purple, and was just jaw dropping. This dragon looked to be more mature though, far from the age of mine. What i'm wondering is if my dragon will change a drastic color difference in the next few months? I know it's not holding a shed or anything like the one i saw, but i'm wondering how the infant dragons end up turning out, as mine is dark black and brown with cream white areas.

Omunall

Original Poster
Oh and another question about coloring.

I took my dragon outside today to get some sun and noticed the colors began to brighten. There were a lot of orange and blue hues, along with these spots i had never seen (nor have seen in any other photos of dragons)

It's got these black spots on it's belly, though they are more like rings. I'm just curious, because this could mean either stress marks, or eggs as well...though rule out the eggs because of the age. I just want to know if it's stressed, or if this is just a color pattern.

AndyT

Juvie Member
I know that patterns on a dragon's back can change dramatically as they get older, but I'm not quite sure about colors. Yes, the colors will brighten and look better in sunlight. The black rings on it are, in fact, stress marks. These are pretty normal in Beardies and not too much of a concern. It could have had these because you took it out of its enclosure and outside, which can be stressful. It could also be because of the temperatures in the cage or it could still be stressed from moving to a new home. Do you have UV light and a basking light? What are the temps in your enclosure? Good luck and keep us posted!

Andy

Alon93

Hatchling Member
I believe it's my beardie your'e talking about and I don't believe you'll see a drastic change of color in your beardie.

IMO the drastic color change of my beardie was because at first she was at really bad conditions at the pet store with no lights and no food, no need to say she was in bad health and very stressed, from that she moved on to a roomy 5' terrarium, nutritious and big meals and proper high quality lighting and I think it's that drastic change caused her to suddenly show her true colors.

They usually slightly change their color saturation during the day, they get brighter when they are happy or when they are outside in the sun, dark when they are stressed or when they try to absorb some heat and usually a dull color when they go to sleep.

Frito

Hatchling Member
Alon93":1sgd10ma said:
I believe it's my beardie your'e talking about and I don't believe you'll see a drastic change of color in your beardie.

IMO the drastic color change of my beardie was because at first she was at really bad conditions at the pet store with no lights and no food, no need to say she was in bad health and very stressed, from that she moved on to a roomy 5' terrarium, nutritious and big meals and proper high quality lighting and I think it's that drastic change caused her to suddenly show her true colors.

They usually slightly change their color saturation during the day, they get brighter when they are happy or when they are outside in the sun, dark when they are stressed or when they try to absorb some heat and usually a dull color when they go to sleep.

i agree, one of my adoptions/rescues has had a lot of orange coloring come out now that shes in a better environment than she was in, shedding did not have anything to do with it because she has yet to shed in my possession

to the OP the chain link pattern on their belly comes and goes with stress or being cold, taking them out of their cage can bring this on due to stress etc. until they get more used to being out of the cage

Omunall

Original Poster
Okay, sounds good. I was just curious, since i love the dark colors that mine has, but i've been seeing some coloration differences that have been explained with the sunlight. I figured the spots were a stress thing, since i didn't think i noticed them when we picked her up, but just wanted to know from more experinanced owners. Who knows, i could have just thought she had some cute little designs on her belly lol. Now i'm aware that i need to keep attention to stress levels, and keep her happy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
milosmom
Top Bottom