Change in Eating Habits and Behavior? Shedding?

Status
Not open for further replies.

daner923

Gray-bearded Member
Hey guys. I've had Max for three weeks already! He's very sweet, and is happy to be held for 10-20 minutes at a time. However, since Wednesday, he hasn't really been eating a whole lot. When I feed him in the morning or evening, he kinda just stares at his phoenix worms. If I put a couple on the ground in front of him he'll eat them happily, but only seems to want about 10-12 at a time (down from 50-60 a feeding!). I leave the worms in there with him during the day, and he does seem to be eating them throughout the day while I'm at work. He has already shed his tail, head, and legs since I got him, so I am thinking that it is just time for him to shed his torso, but it hasn't really changed color like the other areas that shed. He still seems alert, although he has certainly been running away from me when i pick him up a bit. He has continued to make BMs (two a day almost every day). I have given him a bath as often as I can - I don't like to give them to him to close to lights out, so if I get home late from work, sometimes I'll forgo the bath. As a side note, he took an unexpected leap from my hand the floor on Thursday morning (~4.5 feet), and I was worried about him all day, but he seems totally fine - no broken bones, stress marks, or black beard, so I'm pretty sure he's totally fine and it's unrelated to the loss of appetite, which predates it by a day anyways. If anyone can confirm that he's just shedding, it would put my mind at ease! Also, here are some newer pictures of Max!

Beard shed (week and a half ago)
jg6vh.jpg

Tail shed (last week)
ZbMk7.jpg

And here he is this morning:
ngEr3.jpg

LP4Ou.jpg

daner923

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
Sure! He is in a 20 gallon long tank. The substrate is slate tile. He has two bowl (one for prey or water, the other for greens). There is no screen on the tank, and resting on two edges of the tank (really sturdy, i swear!) is the strip light containing a 18" Reptisun 10.0 UVB tube light. It is about 8 inches from his basking spot. He also has a 50 W ZooMed basking Light, and above the cool end of the tank there is a ZooMed 60 W full spectrum daylight bulb, just to heat up the tank a bit and help with humidity. His basking spot ranges from 106-115 or so (depending on the time of day, currently 112.5 with a infrared thermometer gun). The warm side/middle of the cage ranges from 90-100, and the cool side ranges from 80-90. He eats primarily phoenix worms right now, and occasionally crickets, when I am running low on the worms. I am going to be starting a dubia colony this week, just waiting for the final supplies to arrive. He has no heating or light at night, and his tank sits in the mid-low 70s. I think that about covers it.

brittani299

Extreme Poster
I temps might be a bit high. The basking should be about 100 to 110. And average temp about 85. And he doesn't need a light at night as long as he stays about 75 at night. But I think that he is acting weird probably from the sheading.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nhacaiuytinco1
Top Bottom