Ceramic tile - Need Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

yanchus17

Hello everyone. Just joined the group. Looking to install ceramic tile in my enclosure. Looking for advice/recommendations for adhesive, grout, and sealer to use. I am based out of Ontario Canada and of course, don' want to use anything that will hurt my beardie. Any help would be most appreciated.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hi there,

Welcome :)

Most of us just lay the tiles in loose. No grout and no mortar to hold the tiles down. This allows the tiles to be removed easily for cleaning. Plus makes the tank easier to move if need be in the future.

-Brandon

yanchus17

Original Poster
Claudiusx":1s8ht8g3 said:
Hi there,

Welcome :)

Most of us just lay the tiles in loose. No grout and no mortar to hold the tiles down. This allows the tiles to be removed easily for cleaning. Plus makes the tank easier to move if need be in the future.

-Brandon

Hello Brandon. Thank you for such a prompt reply. I want to speak to my wife about it, but if we did proceed to grout and sealing, are you aware of safe products to use? I was thinking about speaking to a couple of our larger aquarium stores in the area to get their recommendations as well.

Thanks again for your help,

Dylan

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hi Dylan,

Pretty much any grout will be ok to use, especially since you will be sealing it. And on that note, pretty much any grout sealer will be ok also, as long as its given ample time to cure and has stopped off-gasing. if you can still smell it, there are still VOCs being released.

I don't think you need to mortar them down to the enclosure, the grout will hold the tiles in place well enough.

-Brandon

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I recommend not using the grout or sealer --- I have tile in my tank and use a thick shop paper towel under the tile to catch the urate / watery stuff --- its easy to clean w/ vinegar/ water 50/50 in a spray bottle ---
Karrie

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
Dylan,

Not mentioned is that we (who don't cement/grout tiles) are talking about BIG tiles (e.g. 12" x 24" rectangles). Bigger tiles mean fewer seams to leak/drain thru. When I built my enclosure, I laid down non-adhesive shelf liner, taped the seam and borders, and laid the tiles directly on that, filling circumference gaps with wood strips. Cleanup--as Karrie notes--is extremely easy. Any liquid that does happen to seep down cracks is handled by the vinegar solution or Natures Miracle. I haven't removed any tiles since installing them (last Nov 2) and DW was surprised when she stuck her head in there the other day (tending plants), remarking, "Wow, I can't smell any dragon odor at all in there."

Now if you're talking about doing a floor in fancy small tiles (as some on YT have done) then I'd definitely grout & seal. Some sealers are one-time/permanent, some need periodic resealing, and some grouts don't require any sealing (its integral)--it depends on the products you choose.

bearded dragon safe grout sealers

McBeck

I used 6x6 slate in the bottom of my enclosure. I used a low temp glue gun and a small blob on the back of the tile to hold them in place. This glue will pop up if you pry, but strong enough to hold in place to grout. Sealers come off no matter what it says, trust me. You can use epoxy grout, that is food safe, but it's a pain in the keister to use and $$$.
Regular grout cleans fine with a good quality pet spray. If you're concerned you could always use
GE Silicone 1. Make SURE it is Silicone 1, after cure time (roughly 7 days) it's safe for your pets.
It's what we peeps who keep aquariums, have used for years.

yanchus17

Original Poster
Thank you, everyone, for taking the time to reply and provide some insight. I really like the idea of grouting and sealing. I am going to look for larger tiles to cut back on the seams. I also want to look for a very "rough" or textured tile to give him some traction. You guys are awesome and I appreciate the help!

Aaradimian

Juvie Member
I use 12"x12" tiles in mine, laid on the bottom for the reasons Brandon mentioned. To make things easier on their joints and easier for me to clean, I put 2 layers of a cheap outdoor carpet down on top of it. The bottom layer stays but I throw out the top from time to time as a precaution. Because I'm cutting up an outdoor carpet, there's plenty of material.

yanchus17

Original Poster
Thanks, guys - that raises another question. Is it recommended to put a carpet or something on top of the tile? I was trying to get away from that by installing the ceramic tile as I use reptile carpet currently.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
It is up to you the purpose of the tile is to keep.nails trimmed down and for easier clean up I have put a fleece blanket in hiccup and blazes hides--
Karrie

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
Similar to Karrie's answer, the reasons I used rough tile are multifold.
  • No grouting/sealing required
  • Fast easy cleanup--doesn't hold stains/odors
  • Rough surface maintains claws w/o necessity to clip
  • Appearance--looks great
  • No need to periodically remove & clean or replace carpet
I've never had a need/reason to mess around with carpet on top of the tile. There's one half-sheet of paper towel that he poops on, making cleanup even easier: Pickup & discard the soiled paper towel, spray the area where it was with Nature's Miracle for Stinky Dragons, and replace with a clean sheet. Takes less than a minute. :D

My dragon has a basil forest with soil floor to explore/utilize if he wants to, but he never does; he's content w/ the tile & slate substrates. He doesn't even avail himself of a soft cardboard area.

McBeck

He doesn't even avail himself of a soft cardboard area.[/quote said:
I would guess, since they bask on a rock all day, their heinies aren't as sensitive as we may project on them.
Mine actually sleeps on a piece of petrified wood. Until such time as they come out with a Sleep Number basking rock, she will just have to make due... :mrgreen:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
El heffe
Top Bottom