Cause for concern?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Glaurung

So I bought Phobos, a 5 month old male crayola red dragon last weekend at a repticon show from Georgia Bearded dragons. He seems to be halfway through shed, since his tail and legs still have their old skin. I understand that they tend to be more stressed during this time and less friendly.

Let me back up before I talk about my concerns.
He seemed pretty healthy when I bought him, in fact when I first held him, he jumped straight onto my shoulder and I knew he was the one! I couldn't take him straight home when I bought him since I live over 5 hours away from the show where I bought him, so I kept him in a cardboard box with hand warmer pouches in the hotel. I bathed him the night I got him, but didn't feed him till the next day. He pooped in the car, which smelled really bad, but didn't have any worms or anything, so that was an overall relief. When we got home he went straight to his 36x18x24 viv with a 90W halogen spot dimmed to 110F, and a Reptiglo 5.0 @ 24." He ate his crix straight away, but I only fed him like 6 or 7 that night. The next day was moving day, and again I fed him only a few crix (maybe about 10 or less) that day. His appetite stayed strong until last night when I noticed a slight difference in his overall attitude after hand feeding him a few greens for the first time (the rest of the plate just lay there and died up, hmph). He ate his crickets, about 12, but not with his usual fervor. I gave him a bath as well last night as he had sat in some poop, and he barely moved around in the sink, he just stood there and looked kind of pissed with me. Soon after drying, it was lights out. I prepare some greens this morning (dandelion greens sans pesticides, collards, red bell peppers, rosemary, and a raisin for flavor), which he may or may not have eaten, though they were strewn about the spot where I deposited them into the cage. I went in to pick him up to take him outside and he ran off of my hand, into the corner, and gave me this horrible (and cute) beard, as well as flattening out like a pancake and turning his back towards me. I let him cool down and approached him again, and again, the beard! I thought he might just be peeved with the greens and wanted some crickets, so I put about 8 in his cage, 2 of which he ate, and the rest he so far has just let escape into my room :(. I noticed that his stress marks, which have been more or less visible since I bought him were very very dark and pronounced. He also seems skinnier to me, with his skin hanging rather loosely on his shoulders, as if he had his ribs narrowed like when he hunts, except he is at rest, usually with his head up but sometimes even down on the ground (god what a sentence...).

I'm a new beardie owner, and just don't want him to hate me/get sick. I've handled him every day, and I let him out to roam around my room occasionally under sharp watch. He seems to like his viv because when he is let loose as so, sometimes he'll jump right back in. I worry that maybe he is hurt from falling since he climbs the walls of his viv all the time, though its only 18'' high and I've never actually seen him fall. I also keep a humidifier on in my room at night since I can't breath without it, and my hydrometer reads around 54% when it's on.

Does he just need to shed? Does he need more crickets? Does he need water? Does he need to be left alone? He's just been giving me such terrible looks, and the fact that he hasn't gobbled up his crix like a vacuum worries me. Thanks ahead of time for any good words!

Glaurung

Original Poster
Oh and:
How old is your dragon? 5 mths
How long have you had your dragon? <Week
How long is your dragon? maybe 10 or 11"
What is the sex of your dragon? M
What size enclosure do you have your dragon in? 36x24x18
What type substrate do you have on the bottom of your tank? tile with paper
Do you use UVB lights? yer
If so, Is it a coil, compact, fluorescent tube, or Mercury Vapor bulb? fl tube
What is the brand name and number of your bulb? Wattage (if MVB)? 20
How old is your UVB bulb? <week
How close can your dragon get to the UVB? Err 15" away
Do you use a separate basking bulb? What kind and what is the wattage? halogen 90W with dimmer
What are the basking temps? 110
What is the cool side temp? 74
Do you take the temps with a stick on thermometer, a digital thermometer with a wire and a probe end or a temp gun? Digi therm with wire and probe
Where exactly are you taking your basking temps? on the spot where the spotlight shines and the beardie rests
Do you use a heat rock or heat pad? hell no
What do you feed your dragon? Please be specific. crix+collards,spaghetti squash, red bell peppers, dandelion greens, rosemary
How often do you feed and what time do you feed (morning, afternoon, night)? haven't established a schedule yet, but usually at night
Do you gutload (feed) your crickets, worms, etc? tried it today
Do you use vitamin or calcium supplements? What brand(s)? How many days a week do you use each of them? yes, put them on the crix, both every day, with a break from the vitamins for a day
Is your dragon having regular bowel movements (poops)? yup and stinky
Do you bath your dragon? How often? twice this week so far
Do you mist your dragon or offer water other than in the bath? havent gotten the bottle yet :( shame on me, i just drip it on him at bathtime
Does your dragon share an enclosure with another dragon? no
Have you gotten a vet check and fecal done? not yet

One last thing, he has only let me handfeed him a total of 2 strips of collards

Ethelia

Extreme Poster
Hello there,
Firstly I would like to say there really is nothing to worry about.
Everything you are describing are completely normal for new dragons.

The change in attitude from happy to lucky to defensive is likely to be because he is adjusting to his new enviroment. This is especially prevolent in males.
I recently rescued a juvie male, around the same age as your little guy, who spent most of his first few weeks with me with a black beard. He would stomp around his viv and puff himself up. He was just acting like a tough guy and trying to show me that he was in charge and that this viv was HIS home. Not mine. Its important for some males to show dominance in their new homes before they will settle down.

On top of this most dragons HATE shedding. Ruben is a nightmare when he's shedding. He doesnt want to be held, he hates his baths and he hate me! Silly little boy.
Stress marks often go hand in hand with shedding aswell.
Dont let the stressmarks freak you out just yet. I rescued Ruben at the begining of December and today was the first day I had a clear creamy belly from him.
Each dragon takes a different amount of time to get settled.

Ive also had experience with a feral dragon who upon coming to me took every oppertunity to bite me, scratch me and hiss at me. With patience ant a firm hand even she turned into the worlds biggest cuddlebug.

As he is still new to you there are a number of steps you can follow to slowly ease him into companionship.
The slower you take things the easier it will be.

Start putting your hand in his tank, flat but dont touch him. He'll see your not there to grab him. Do this every now and then for a day or so.
Handfeeding is great here, wriggely worms work best, he'll learn that you are the bringer of all that is yummy! If he opens his mouth at you or hisses just remove your hand and the food. He'll soon realise thats a bad idea.

When you try handling her try it an hour or so after lights out when he'll be sleepy and bored of fighting. At this time you can try the 'beardie burrito'. this involves wrapping your beardie in a blanket/towel like a newborn baby and laying them on your chest. If he doesnt like the beardie burito try wearing a dressing gown, alot of beardies enjoy softness. Dexter loved mine.

When you begin to start trying to handle your little one during daytime id get him out, and let him run around near you, like on the bed or on the floor in a room (close the door and make sure all gaps are blocked with cushions/pillows). He'll get used to just being near you and learning that your not big and scary. Also if he runs around exploring he'll tire herself out and so will be more submissive when you finally pick him up.

Remember:
When you go to pick up your beardie do not approach him from the back or the side, this is predatry behaviour and will spook him.
Lay your hand flat in front of him for a few seconds and then slide it underneath him. Once you have picked him up like this yuo can reposition him on your hand.

It can also work wonders to add one of your old tshirts to him tank (make sure you've worn it for an hour or so), as it means he will become used to your smell in a non threatening manner.
I cant recommend this enough.

The most important thing I can stress here though is to NOT just put him down if he beards/scratches you.
He will learn that this behaviour gets him what he wants and it will make the process longer and harder.

Keep us updated!
Holly

Glaurung

Original Poster
Thank you for the reply.

He seems a little better today, though still cranky.

I can't get him to eat from my hand, it just seems he wants nothing to do with food as long as he can see me. He doesn't look imaciated but his body does seem "deflated" so to speak

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beardiemomg
Top Bottom