Cat fleas and concave head scales

Status
Not open for further replies.

sirenique

Hatchling Member
I'm having one helluva week, animal wise.

Problem 1: Cat Fleas and Beardies
I woke up this morning to a text from my friend saying she just figured out that her cat has fleas. A lot of them. I visited her house last night, and cannot get the image of her cat rolling on my coat out of my mind. Needless to say, I have since vacuumed my entire apartment, washed everything that is washable, emptied the vacuum dirt into the trash, took the trash out, then promptly showered. I'm hoping to prevent a flea infestation in my apartment. In the meantime, are there any signs I should watch out for aside from scratching or noticeable irritation that would indicate the fleas have somehow gotten to my beardie? I know many of you on this site have a cat/dog and beardie, so I was hoping you would have some good advice. I figured being scaly was a beardie's natural defense against this type of pest, but I worry a lot.

Problem 2: Concave Head Scales
My beardie has a small patch between his eyes of 4-5 scales that are concave -- they bend like a bowl, inward, whereas most of his scales are convex. I've noticed this after my beardie shed his head about three months ago. He has a good appetite, I bathe him 2-3 times a week, and he is getting a well-balanced diet and is getting his heat requirements met. I am worried perhaps that concave scales might be a symptom of something being wrong with my UVB bulb? I haven't changed my bulb in over 6 months, so I'm probably due. Are concave scales a sign of a problem, or are they just one of the many things that make our beardies unique? It's kind of hard to get a photo of this problem.

Additional Info: my beardie Bones is 2.5 years old, has a regular diet of collards/mustards/kale, squash, crickets, and some peas/corn/fruit mixed in for variety. He is a "free range" lizard, meaning he has the whole apartment to roam around and has a dedicated basking spot by the balcony window. The apartment is kept at 72 during the day, and his basking spot hangs approximately 6" from his lamps and is usually between 95-105 degrees. He is energetic, has a healthy appetite, gets baths regularly, and is loved to the point of being spoiled. He wakes up with me in the mornings around 6:30/7am, and goes to bed around 5-6:30pm. His urate/fecal samples appear normal in sight and to the touch.

brittani299

Extreme Poster
He probably will never get fleas. They like warm fluffy places they can move around on. Can you post a pic of the spot? Also I think he needs a more stable UVB light.

daner923

Gray-bearded Member
Max also has those "concave" scales around his pineal eye. I'm not sure what they are from, but they don't seem to bother him. No amount of hydration or anything seems to fix them. I'm thinking it's just the way he grew.

sirenique

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
brittani299":3hlqz1cc said:
He probably will never get fleas. They like warm fluffy places they can move around on. Can you post a pic of the spot? Also I think he needs a more stable UVB light.
Thanks! I wasn't worried about him "getting" fleas, so much as having a living environment that contains them. When he was young, I missed a leftover cricket in his cage and I couldn't figure out what was irritating him until I found the cricket! I felt terribly!! I'm afraid I've always been nervous about insect bites ever since; I'm a worrier haha. I'll change out my UVB tube just to be safe. I've tried, but it's too hard to get the correct angle of the concave scales in a photo; the texture of the scales in the photo tend to blend in with his coloring patterns and it makes it really hard to discern what you're looking at. Sorry!! But thanks again for your advice!! :D

daner923":3hlqz1cc said:
Max also has those "concave" scales around his pineal eye. I'm not sure what they are from, but they don't seem to bother him. No amount of hydration or anything seems to fix them. I'm thinking it's just the way he grew.
The concave scales on Bones definitely fall around his pineal eye; I'm relieved to hear that other well-cared for beardies have them, too. Thanks for including the bit about hydration because for a while I was really adding some extra water-dense fruits and veggies into his daily salad and bathing him more often, and I still saw no change. I even thought maybe the perch where he basks was too close to the lamps, and perhaps that was causing some kind of deformity. So I tried to switch from "heating the lizard" to "heating the space around the lizard" by moving his lamps 2" higher from his basking spot; the spot couldn't reach more than 90 degrees, and Bones was noticeably bummed about the whole thing. I'm glad to know at least it's not something I'm doing wrong haha!

Thank you both for your replies! I really appreciate the feedback!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivannam17
Top Bottom