Cat attack

Status
Not open for further replies.

GeoffreyDragon

Original Poster
Just a quick one, what should I keep an eye out for in terms of infection? I think the chances are low as he's pretty much back to his normal self at the moment, I just don't want to assume he's going to be ok simply because he seems alright at the moment.

Thanks in advance :)

GeoffreyDragon

Original Poster
Morning everyone. He seems OK today, bad eye is shut still so it's difficult to get the drops in. He's also shedding which is a bit of a pain, he's currently shedding around his good eye and it's shut a lot. Should I do anything to assist this or just leave it be? Was thinking of giving him a warm bath later today (in around 5/6 hours so he's had a good bask under his lights before).

What are the signs of dehydration? I want to keep an eye on that and don't want to keep bugging him by dripping on his nose if he doesn't need it.

Thanks in advance

Update - I offered him some water through a dropper and he drank a fair bit :)

full

Terry15

Sub-Adult Member
I usually give mine an eye dropper or 2 full of water everyday. He does not like baths. I just drop a few drops, if he starts opening his mouth and drinking, then he must be thirsty. Eye dropper full is 1 teaspoon or 5 ml. I'm glad your little one is doing better.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Mine drink from a spray bottle. :) I'm sure a bath will be fine now that he's doing well, that may help his shed and give him a drink at the same time. :)

GeoffreyDragon

Original Poster
He must have had maybe 3 full droppers full. Because he's only using one eye at the moment, he's not overly active and I haven't seen him near his water bowl. Will keep offering him water through a dropper for the next few days and see how he gets on

GeoffreyDragon

Original Poster
AHBD":y971j4k0 said:
Mine drink from a spray bottle. :) I'm sure a bath will be fine now that he's doing well, that may help his shed and give him a drink at the same time. :)

Fab, thank you. Will it be ok to put some of the Tamodine in with the bath water? I can't imagine he'll drink the water, but in case he does, will that be OK? I just want to be sure his small cuts are cleaned as he's not a fan of me prodding him with the cotton buds and I can't actually see the second cut its so small.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Be sure he's hydrated before putting him in the bath, and if he goes to drink, just be right there to grab him out. Some people mix betadine in the bath water until it looks the color of weak tea or iced tea. I don't know if Tamodine is the same color, probably the same or similar.

GeoffreyDragon

Original Poster
I'll put him in just normal warm water to start with for 5 minutes, then I'll add some of the Tamodine for the last few minutes. Poor little guy looks so rough with the shedding and bad eye

GeoffreyDragon

Original Poster
He had a good soak in warm water for 5 minutes, opened his eye for me to put his drops in too :)

Moving on to his uvb strip bulb, I've been told the one I have really isn't great so I want to change that asap. Which would you recommend? Looking for an 18" and a 30" one (one for now, and one for a few weeks when he gets his larger viv)

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello Laura,

That is great he is doing so much better now, they do take a little while to overcome stress from trauma & or anxiety. They can stay lethargic for days after such an event.
Hopefully the eye will be 100% again real soon. The drops seem to be helping him out.
You are in the UK then? You should be able to find Arcadia tube bulbs there & maybe Reptisun tube bulbs, also. There is the Arcadia D3 12% or the Reptisun 10 either one, on the T8 bulbs. They also have T5 High output tube UVB bulbs now also.

I hope he continues to improve for you. :D

Tracie

GeoffreyDragon

Original Poster
Hi Tracie

Yeah I'm in the UK. Thank you, I'll look into getting one of those today. For the first time since it happened, he climbed his vine and slept in his usual spot which has made me feel better :) bad eye closed again this morning so I'm not sure I'll be able to get drops in this morning before I go off to work which is a pain.

GeoffreyDragon

Original Poster
Hi all, said I'd keep you posted. He's doing really well, almost back to his mischievous self. Is now climbing his 'vine' to sleep like he used to every night. The bad eye is still shut a lot but I've been sending regular updates and photos to the vet who is confident he'll start opening it more by the middle of the week. He said the blood in the eye is being reabsorbed which is a good sign.
Great appetite, pooped every day since, today's was a little runny but otherwise ok. Only concern is making sure he stays hydrated, but offering him water twice a day with the dropper.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That is wonderful he is doing very well now, how lucky! At least he is active & his eye is improving also. If he is getting back to his old self then he should be perfectly fine then. :D
Definitely continue offering him water & if he drinks it he will stay plenty hydrated.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cr0w
Top Bottom