Cat attack :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

traceyb73

Sub-Adult Member
scylla555":2oj8hng9 said:
So now I have another question... I have done some research for her move into the 55 gallon tank (she will get a 75 gallon or a 100 gallon once she is grown so she can turn around comfortable etc.) and I found out that the UVB light I currently use isn`t the most recommended, so I am definitely getting the reptisun 10.0, that`s a good one right?
The one I am using right now is a Zilla 20 Watt Desert 50 (that`s what it says on the bulb) She has a basking light too. She is in a 10 gallon tank right now. The vet said that will be better for now while she is recovering.
Just wondering if it`s safe to use my current light with her eye condition?
That light will bother her eyes even if she didn't have an issue. Please TURN IT OFF. Everyone else is going to tell you the same. If you are able, 30 mins of real sun is equal to having the right UVB light on all day. And yes, you want the REPTISUN 10.0. Make sure it's the reptiSUN. It's a tube, the coil ones (shape of a lightbulb) are dangerous for their eyes, among other things. It's supposed to cover 2/3 to 3/4 of the tank, inside is best. I am not sure what distance is best from the light to the beardie, but if you ask, someone will help you on that. But first, you need to get that right one. :) I'll bet if you got the reptisun 10 your chances of her opening her eye would be much better. I know I"m repeating myself, but PLEASE TURN THAT ONE OFF.

:D

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
By the way, since she's eating her crickets, please stay with those. Micro supers were mentioned, but you might not want to give anything new in her diet, since the crix are what she's used to right now. Don't give her any type of mealworm or superworm, if there's even a slight chance of impaction, it will be very bad in her condition. The micros may be safe to add once she's better, but they shouldn't be used as a staple. Also, once a beardie tastes the super, some will become picky and refuse the crix, so it's probably best to stay with the small crix.

scylla555

Original Poster
traceyb73":veq5n6hv said:
scylla555":veq5n6hv said:
So now I have another question... I have done some research for her move into the 55 gallon tank (she will get a 75 gallon or a 100 gallon once she is grown so she can turn around comfortable etc.) and I found out that the UVB light I currently use isn`t the most recommended, so I am definitely getting the reptisun 10.0, that`s a good one right?
The one I am using right now is a Zilla 20 Watt Desert 50 (that`s what it says on the bulb) She has a basking light too. She is in a 10 gallon tank right now. The vet said that will be better for now while she is recovering.
Just wondering if it`s safe to use my current light with her eye condition?
That light will bother her eyes even if she didn't have an issue. Please TURN IT OFF. Everyone else is going to tell you the same. If you are able, 30 mins of real sun is equal to having the right UVB light on all day. And yes, you want the REPTISUN 10.0. Make sure it's the reptiSUN. It's a tube, the coil ones (shape of a lightbulb) are dangerous for their eyes, among other things. It's supposed to cover 2/3 to 3/4 of the tank, inside is best. I am not sure what distance is best from the light to the beardie, but if you ask, someone will help you on that. But first, you need to get that right one. :) I'll bet if you got the reptisun 10 your chances of her opening her eye would be much better. I know I"m repeating myself, but PLEASE TURN THAT ONE OFF.

:D
Thanks! I had it turned it off before I even got your reply (just to make sure) I will take her outside till I get the right light. I wish pet stores wouldn`t sell that overpriced stuff when it harms your pets...they could just sell the appropriate lightning instead, ugh.

scylla555

Original Poster
AHBD":38e9rk7m said:
By the way, since she's eating her crickets, please stay with those. Micro supers were mentioned, but you might not want to give anything new in her diet, since the crix are what she's used to right now. Don't give her any type of mealworm or superworm, if there's even a slight chance of impaction, it will be very bad in her condition. The micros may be safe to add once she's better, but they shouldn't be used as a staple. Also, once a beardie tastes the super, some will become picky and refuse the crix, so it's probably best to stay with the small crix.

Good thing I read this before I went to buy the worms...thank you! She only ate 2 crickets today and a little of her greens. She is shedding , maybe that`s why?

Amy2

Hatchling Member
I am sorry to hear about what happened to your baby...I am glad she seems to be doing a little better though. She opened her eye..that is good news :D Hopefully she will heal up with out any permanent damage. She is so pretty!

traceyb73

Sub-Adult Member
scylla555":t1wdbpyq said:
Thanks! I had it turned it off before I even got your reply (just to make sure) I will take her outside till I get the right light. I wish pet stores wouldn`t sell that overpriced stuff when it harms your pets...they could just sell the appropriate lightning instead, ugh.
I know, it's so frustrating. I wish I had kept count of every time I had to go back to the pet store because a self proclaimed expert "knew" what they were talking about and I had to return something. I got the point where I would write down exactly what I needed (colors of boxes and everything) before I went in there. If anyone asked if I needed help I would practically run in the opposite direction.

I was told countless times, surprisingly even by our local pet store, to stay away from worms for a while because she is too young and the risk of impaction. The breeder fed roaches (as much as I fear them...yes I'm on of those), I might have considered it but my husband said if I brought roaches in the house, the roaches, the "liazard" and I would all be outside looking in. lol He does have a point. He hates the crickets too...if only he knew how many are running around this house. LOL :wink:

discojan

Juvie Member
Wow--glad to see that Scylla is doing so much better. Beardies really are amazing in their healing abilities!

scylla555

Original Poster
traceyb73":361vnod8 said:
scylla555":361vnod8 said:
I know, it's so frustrating. I wish I had kept count of every time I had to go back to the pet store because a self proclaimed expert "knew" what they were talking about and I had to return something. I got the point where I would write down exactly what I needed (colors of boxes and everything) before I went in there. If anyone asked if I needed help I would practically run in the opposite direction.

I was told countless times, surprisingly even by our local pet store, to stay away from worms for a while because she is too young and the risk of impaction. The breeder fed roaches (as much as I fear them...yes I'm on of those), I might have considered it but my husband said if I brought roaches in the house, the roaches, the "liazard" and I would all be outside looking in. lol He does have a point. He hates the crickets too...if only he knew how many are running around this house. LOL :wink:

Thank you soo much for the advice! I have her every day outside in the sun now and she opens her eye when she is sunbathing, is super active and her color turns a happy light orange. She seems overall very happy. I was thinking even if I have the right light (which will be soon) I want her to go outside more often. She really enjoys it!!! I am not a fan of roaches and crickets (they stink!!) but oh well. I don`t feed her worms anymore. I am going to buy one of those termite hills where the crickets crawl out of. That should make it easier for her. She doesn`t open her eye when she is in her tank but she does in direct sunlight...not for long, but it`s a start :)

scylla555

Original Poster
discojan":3jlava5d said:
Wow--glad to see that Scylla is doing so much better. Beardies really are amazing in their healing abilities!

Thank you :D Yes , she is recovering really good. Still not sure about her eye sight but she doesn`t seem very bothered by it

scylla555

Original Poster
Before all of this happened, she hated to be picked up and always tried to run away from me...now she let`s me pick her up with no struggle but doesn`t want to go back in her tank and always tries to stay with me.
Here is the newest pic (2 days ago) she is shedding, little one is growing fast to show the kitties who the boss is :wink:
Not sure what`s going on with her eye yet. She opens it for a little bit (only in direct sunlight) it looks black, hmmm. She eats, poops, is active and doing very well.

IMG_20120825_001425.jpg

traceyb73

Sub-Adult Member
Aw, poor little thing. The shedding has to be brutal for them, but it's good because it means she's is growing!! :)) I'm so glad she is perking up since she is getting real sun. Even if there is an issue with her sight out of that eye, she seems to have adjusted well. And now she is your little cuddle bug. :))

scylla555

Original Poster
traceyb73":16szo5nq said:
Aw, poor little thing. The shedding has to be brutal for them, but it's good because it means she's is growing!! :)) I'm so glad she is perking up since she is getting real sun. Even if there is an issue with her sight out of that eye, she seems to have adjusted well. And now she is your little cuddle bug. :))

I know, but it`s almost over and yes she is growing quickly!!! I got her from PetSmart in June and she did fit in my cars cup holder comfortably (they told me she was 4 months old at that time- no way!!!)
Yes, yes the sun works like magic. So happy! Thank you!!!!
I think so too, even if she can only see with one eye she is going to be fine. Yes, so surprised she actually wants to be with me now. I was sure after the incident she would be even more skittish.

traceyb73

Sub-Adult Member
scylla555":1vcdbb97 said:
I know, but it`s almost over and yes she is growing quickly!!! I got her from PetSmart in June and she did fit in my cars cup holder comfortably (they told me she was 4 months old at that time- no way!!!)
I think so too, even if she can only see with one eye she is going to be fine. Yes, so surprised she actually wants to be with me now. I was sure after the incident she would be even more skittish.
I know, you never know how something like that will go...you had a 50/50 chance she would be more nervous around you but she learned she can trust you to care for her and protect her. It is a good feeling to know they trust you that much. I am lucky enough to have a very trusting cuddle bug too. :D I am the one she really trusts here too. My daughter tries and Zoey tolerates it, but if I come in the room she runs over to me full speed ahead. I can't say I'm disappointed. ;)

She's got this new thing now. Instead of staying on my shirt (situated so her head is just below my chin), she crawls on to my shoulder and tries to eat my hair. lol She loosened one last night and ended up eating it (I was freaking out trying to get it out of her mouth but it was too late), so now I hope it doesn't mess anything up and passes. She then crawls around the back of my neck (I giggle the whole time as it tickles that much), occasionally she will try to climb down my back, but what she really wants is to climb up on top of my head. lol She is just too cute, but aren't they all? :)

She is really loving being outside too and I wish there was a way to get her outside once it gets cold, but there is no way. I think the next best thing for her will be finding a window sill so she can get sun, but she won't get the UV as windows tend to block those out. Nothing I can do about that. It would be nice to squeeze out another couple weeks without her being stuck inside but I'm not going to hold my breath!!!

That is so cute that she was small enough to fit in the cup holder on the way home. lol I ended up taking a shoebox with me as the breeder said it was best to put her in something dark so she couldn't freak out watching everything go by outside. I did try to put in inside my hoodie the one night (had to pick my daughter up from work) after she had fallen asleep, but as soon as the car started she freaked out. One of the few times she all out scratched me and we didn't even move yet! So, in the house we went and I haven't tried it since. That is the ONLY thing I've found that will wake her up once she is out for the night. lol

scylla555

Original Poster
traceyb73":e282eabj said:
scylla555":e282eabj said:
I know, you never know how something like that will go...you had a 50/50 chance she would be more nervous around you but she learned she can trust you to care for her and protect her. It is a good feeling to know they trust you that much. I am lucky enough to have a very trusting cuddle bug too. :D I am the one she really trusts here too. My daughter tries and Zoey tolerates it, but if I come in the room she runs over to me full speed ahead. I can't say I'm disappointed. ;)

She's got this new thing now. Instead of staying on my shirt (situated so her head is just below my chin), she crawls on to my shoulder and tries to eat my hair. lol She loosened one last night and ended up eating it (I was freaking out trying to get it out of her mouth but it was too late), so now I hope it doesn't mess anything up and passes. She then crawls around the back of my neck (I giggle the whole time as it tickles that much), occasionally she will try to climb down my back, but what she really wants is to climb up on top of my head. lol She is just too cute, but aren't they all? :)

She is really loving being outside too and I wish there was a way to get her outside once it gets cold, but there is no way. I think the next best thing for her will be finding a window sill so she can get sun, but she won't get the UV as windows tend to block those out. Nothing I can do about that. It would be nice to squeeze out another couple weeks without her being stuck inside but I'm not going to hold my breath!!!

That is so cute that she was small enough to fit in the cup holder on the way home. lol I ended up taking a shoebox with me as the breeder said it was best to put her in something dark so she couldn't freak out watching everything go by outside. I did try to put in inside my hoodie the one night (had to pick my daughter up from work) after she had fallen asleep, but as soon as the car started she freaked out. One of the few times she all out scratched me and we didn't even move yet! So, in the house we went and I haven't tried it since. That is the ONLY thing I've found that will wake her up once she is out for the night. lol

Awww!! My 17 lbs tabby cat does that with me (the hair eating). I hope Zoey will be okay!!! You know what I just noticed? Your beardie and I share the same birthday :)
It`s too bad it`s getting colder soon. I would love to take her outside every day. Oh well. There is always next year.
The shoe box is a good idea. They gave me a little plastic cup for her (I think the same as worms come in haha). She didn`t seem to mind the car too much but she sure was looking around when I started the engine. Can`t wait to get my paycheck next week to set up her new home. Soooo many plans :) Found the Reptisun light on amazon for $30 instead of $50 at my local pet stores. She has about 20 items on my wishlist on Amazon that I want to get for her. Just have to figure something out for the basking spot so she gets high enough. I will probably get some magnetic large ledges. I`m also going to Lowes and Home depot soon and check out their tiles since I can`t find the reptile carpet in brown, ugh!
They sure are cute, and just like dogs some might not like car rides haha. Maybe she will later? Mine sleeps on a little decoration cactus , it looks so uncomfortable but she claimed it as her bed since day 1.

traceyb73

Sub-Adult Member
scylla555":1y25aptl said:
Awww!! My 17 lbs tabby cat does that with me (the hair eating). I hope Zoey will be okay!!! You know what I just noticed? Your beardie and I share the same birthday :)
It`s too bad it`s getting colder soon. I would love to take her outside every day. Oh well. There is always next year.
The shoe box is a good idea. They gave me a little plastic cup for her (I think the same as worms come in haha). She didn`t seem to mind the car too much but she sure was looking around when I started the engine. Can`t wait to get my paycheck next week to set up her new home. Soooo many plans :) Found the Reptisun light on amazon for $30 instead of $50 at my local pet stores. She has about 20 items on my wishlist on Amazon that I want to get for her. Just have to figure something out for the basking spot so she gets high enough. I will probably get some magnetic large ledges. I`m also going to Lowes and Home depot soon and check out their tiles since I can`t find the reptile carpet in brown, ugh!
They sure are cute, and just like dogs some might not like car rides haha. Maybe she will later? Mine sleeps on a little decoration cactus , it looks so uncomfortable but she claimed it as her bed since day 1.
That is so cool that they were born on the same day!! :) It's to the point now I don't remember if she was born on a Wed. or Thurs. Oh well, they are either 13 weeks today or 13 weeks old yesterday. LOL

I cant believe they put your little one in a plastic cup. lol I did have about an hour or so ride from where our breeder is, so I think if we had just tried to hold her, it would have been a disaster.

That is a great price on the UV light! Smart idea to look around. :) As far as a basking spot, she fell in love with one of those hollowed out log things you see everywhere. Just remember, before you put anything in her viv, be sure to clean it. Rocks and logs can go in the oven and baked (I always wash them off first), everything else just gets a really good cleaning. :)

Did you try doing a search for reptile carpet?

They seem to find the strangest positions, dont' they? I have seen some really funny pics on here too. lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Julielps
Top Bottom