Career Path

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ashleydmj

Hatchling Member
Does anyone have any suggestions (career wise) for a student who has a passion for reptiles, exotic animals and the studying information, care, behavior and genetics that relates and PAYS THE BILLS?
:study: :study: :study: :study: :study: :study: :study: :study: :study: :study: :study: :study: :study: :study: :study:

IMPORTANT NOTE: This girl does not like sitting in offices, playing with the insides, or euthanasia...
:shock:
Feeling a little bit stuck with interests that differ from the people in my life. :?:
:|

Feline

When you deal with veterinary medicine/animals, whether it is research, general practice, private practice, or specialty, euthanasia is inevitable. Perhaps a PhD in zoology and teach?!?! You don't deal with euthanasia if you go into academia (except if you work or teach in a clinical academia setting such as anesthesia, ICU, or ECC setting, etc.)

Ashleydmj

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I suppose I should clarify that Euthanasisa as far as putting down someone's pet. :(
I'd like to be out in the field working hands on. I used to tell everyone when I was little that I was going to be just like the Crocodile Hunter! :mrgreen:

Feline

You have to be really fortunate or have really good connections in order to land a job like the crocodile hunter. :mrgreen: How about research or zoo animal medicine?! Research pays well whereas zoo animal medicine does not. Find a job dealing with animals and see where life takes you; find out what you like and don't like, what you can tolerate and cannot tolerate. You never know!!!

Goodtruant

Sub-Adult Member
I got an email recently from our local zoo, it explained an increased need for biological scientists in the next few years, and that it's a fast growing job market, specifically in the zoology and wildlife biology fields. They also mentioned jobs in land conservation research and consulting are becoming more and more important for those with zoology/biology backgrounds. Not sure how much of this would be related to herpetology, but I'm sure there's a niche!

Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Harobuilt
Top Bottom