Can't tell if he's sick or starting brumation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ara

Ok I have a 2ish year old maybe a little older bearded dragon named monkey. Last night I walked in the room and went to feed him his meal noticed that he didn't touch his greens which he usually eats them all and when I went to go pick him up he wouldn't really raise his head and I noticed his beard was pitch black and he's black a little on the sides of his head. I had him out for a little and he sluggishly was walking around til he finally crawled under a blanket and went to sleep. He refused to eat anything by the way. he needed a bath so I got the water ready and tried to put him in but he wouldn't stand up on his own and I had to hold him out of the water a bit so he wouldn't drowned cuz he wouldn't hold his head up. I finally put him back in his tank for the night and it is now the next day where he would usually climb up on his basking spot and look glorious but he didn't climb up so I put him up there cuz it's a little chilly today and he's passed out like a drunk up there just opening his eyes if I walk by his beard is still pitch black and hasn't lessened. The day before (Saturday) this happened he had a huge bowel movement like he was emptying his whole gut also. Any advice iv never experienced a bearded dragon going through brumation and am very worried that he could be sick. The temps of my bask spot are around 100 hot side is in the 90's cool side around 80ish I use reptisun 10.0 and I have a purplish night light which he can usually sleep through anything but he's been waking up at night and I haven't changed anything about his cage in over a year

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Poor guy. The pitch black beard for an extended time usually means distress or sickness. I advise getting him to an experienced reptile vet for a checkup as soon as possible. I'm not sure what the issue may be but his behavior tells me that something's up and it may be serious. Definitely worth a checkup if you can.

Ara

Original Poster
Monkey passed away this morning I took him to the vet yesterday and they did everything they could for him. Everyone please take you dragons to the vet the second you might think something's wrong or it could be to late. They said dragons don't show they are sick until normally it is to late. I lost a very important part of my family today. I am missing a big part of my heart right now.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I'm so sorry to hear this. I know how tough it is to lose them. They certainly are quite good at hiding illness and often won't show signs of anything wrong until it's too late. It sounds like he had a great life with you and was loved.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lienminhokvip
Top Bottom