Can't get vermiculite told it contained lead?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JubJubLizard

Hatchling Member
Hi just wanted to know if anyone was having trouble getting vermiculite. I needed to change my tub out due to slight mold and no place here in town will carry it and 2 of the nurseries said it was do to containing lead and that people were getting sick? Has anyone heard of this? My original bag came from a nursery and we bought their last bag. The one guy asked me what I needed it for and how soon and I told him and he said I would not use it for anything! Geez......this has been a tricky deal the last few days. Any how I found hatch rite. Has anyone used this? Hope this works as it was my only in town option. Any info on this would be great. Thanks :)

citrusdragon

Sub-Adult Member
I found vermiculite in Home Depot in the firepalce and BBQ section. It is used as fake ash in some fireplaces. It is getting more difficult to find after 911. The movies used to use it in bulk for explosions somehow, now in CA it is very hard to find in bulk. The stopped letting nurseries carry it.

Jeff

JubJubLizard

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Thank you for your reply. I tried Home Depot yesterday as well as Lowe's and every nursery in town. Guess that is just not going to be an option for us. Have you heard anything bad about it and why it is so hard to find? Has me a little worried as the eggs sat in it. What about Hatchrite have you tried this and if so was all okay with it? It feels strange but it is my only choice. Thank you again :O)

sddragons

Juvie Member
Use Perlite. Just soak it in hot water first for about 20-30 minutes right before you use it.
You can get this everywhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Panthercat
Top Bottom