Can't get heat right!??!

Status
Not open for further replies.

DarthVader

Hi all, i am new here so go easy :D

I have a beardy called Darth Vader (my 3 yr old sons choice :? )

I have converted my aquarium into a vivarium.

It is 3ft 3 inches long, 18 inches high and 16 inches deep.

I know its not ideal for a beardy but will get a 4 x 2 x 2 when he needs it.

I have built a fake rock environment and he loves it but i am struggling to get the correct temps.

I have a Habistat thermostat and a ceramic heat lamp.

The problem is is that i cannot have the basking end of the tank at 110 because the end of the tank thats meant to be cooler doesn't go below about 85. The Habistat sensor/probe is in the centre at the top of the tank.

I have tried the sensor in the cool end and the middle but i still cannot seem to get it right.

I have 4 x 70mm vents in the lid.

When i'm in i turn the stat down and open the lid a little so let some heat out.

Please help as he is getting too hot and hides away in his cave alot.

Thanks in advance.

SoleSky

Sub-Adult Member
Are you using just a ceramic heat emitter? Those are best used at night because beardies require bright light during the day. I suggest you get a 75 watt basking bulb, the kind that focuses the heat in one specific area. The heat emitters tend to span the tank. Then on the cool side you can use either a CFL bulb or a very low wattage bulb to keep the cool side around 75-80 deg. Hope this helps, let me know if you're confused.

DarthVader

Original Poster
I have a ceramic emitter on the very right side of the viv plus 1 standard light tube and a 10% uvb tube so brightness is no issue. At the moment both the lights/tubes are set to come on at 7:20am till 7:20pm.

The lighting and UVB aren't and issue really, just the heat.

DarthVader

Original Poster
Here is a pic of the heatlamp (ceramic) and where he can go..

IMG_5496_zpsd1a99951.jpg

SoleSky

Sub-Adult Member
Do you keep the ceramic heat emitter on during the day or no? If you do I suggest you turn it off. Also, if your dragon does not like 110 temps you could try lowering it to 105, that should help reduce the other side. It looks like he's getting older now and may not like the 110-115 range of temps. Again, I suggest getting a spot light bulb, which focuses the heat in one direction rather than out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sohaiko
Top Bottom