Canned crickets?

Status
Not open for further replies.

adubbs92

So i usually have live crickets ( i hate them) , but alot from my last batch died. I went to the pet store and got some exo terra canned crickets. The can says the following: Protein- min 20%, Fat- min 5.5%, Fiber, max 1%, Moisture- max 75.8%, Ash- max 3%. I also feed him 2-3 live superworms a day. I was wondering if it would be okay to keep this as a main diet, throwing in random live crickets/worms every once and a while. I know most people say that bearded dragons dont like the canned food because it is not alive, but my guy seems to love these canned crickets. Any information would be great. Thanks!

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
The big problem with canned bugs is you can't control their quality. You can't gut load them, or make sure they are well hydrated which are two important things for your dragons. A dry cricket will have similar protein/fat as a live one, but I can't believe it has 75% moisture.

Dragons rely on food for a lot of their moisture, so based just on that I wouldn't use them regularly.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I would (and have) keep a tank of live feeder crickets for which you control the food. You can control the quality of life for the feeders and you can control the diet and nutrients for the dragon. It's a little more effort but you can get used to it after a while and will probably be best for your dragon. If you can keep high temps (perhaps using a heat pad) for the crickets they should live for a month or so which is their natural life span. I'll be glad to share details of my cricket experience with you if you'd like.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylis342
Top Bottom