CandyCane has a swollen eye :( Update: she’s fine!

Status
Not open for further replies.

opaquelace

Hatchling Member
I noticed this evening while treating her with some bugs that her eye was almost swollen shut and watery. I'm thinking she scratched it? Her mouth area is shedding atm, and it wasn't like that at all this morning or around lunchtime. I cleaned with some saline on a cotton swab and there was no colored discharge or anything, but she's got me worried. I'll be calling the vet in the am to get her seen and hopefully it's just a scratch. I can't imagine it's anything else?
97323211_10104636815616610_6448070041123422208_n.jpg

This was before I cleaned it. Not dirty, but definitely swollen in the eyelid area and at the top of the eye near the top of her head. She's still eating, running around, being saucy.
96672703_10104636815751340_7144158182514884608_n.jpg

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Yeah that does not look good-- it almost looks infected but I am.no vet--- I would PM Tracie Tonite and have her look at it
Karrie

opaquelace

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
KarrieRee":10of76hy said:
Yeah that does not look good-- it almost looks infected but I am.no vet--- I would PM Tracie Tonite and have her look at it
Karrie

K. And yea she’s def heading to the vet ASAP tomorrow. Poor thing.
Also how do I pm Tracie?

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Probably just some shed got into the eye and is irritating it.

Her morphs make her scales more likely to flake off in tiny pieces more so than normal scaled dragons. And these tiny pieces can be more apt to get into the eyes. Rinsing with a saline solution should do the trick. I wouldn't use the qtip though, just let the saline rinse out the eye.

There really isn't anything in the tanks that she could have got in there, unless that new bed she has was shedding some lint/fibers.

-Brandon

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I would do what Brandon suggested and you can PM Tracie by clicking on her username drache613 left side of page it will say email or PM
Karrie

opaquelace

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Claudiusx":1q5729de said:
Probably just some shed got into the eye and is irritating it.

Her morphs make her scales more likely to flake off in tiny pieces more so than normal scaled dragons. And these tiny pieces can be more apt to get into the eyes. Rinsing with a saline solution should do the trick. I wouldn't use the qtip though, just let the saline rinse out the eye.

There really isn't anything in the tanks that she could have got in there, unless that new bed she has was shedding some lint/fibers.

-Brandon
I did the q tip and then dropped some of the saline solution and it did look better afterward. I’ll see in the morning. The surrounding area is swollen which concerned me. Also didn’t know that about the morphs that’s good to know. It just makes it flaky? I’ve noticed her shed has a more brittle texture than Wilburs but I’ve been associating that with his leatherbackness.

opaquelace

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Just checked on her because she’s sleeping and it looks less swollen already. Hoping the saline rinse and pat before lights out did the trick. The cork walls do drop some dirt, but other than that nothing else sheds much of anything to be an eye irritant.
97543308_10104637341582570_3790906025721200640_n.jpg

Might be wishful thinking but it looks much better now. No discharge, not as swollen looking.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I've found from my own dragons over the years, that for some reason the high quality trans genes paired with a decent quality leatherback gene typically do make those small flakey sheds.and candycane is definitely a high quality trans.

Either way, sometimes they can just shed flakey too. I'd rinse her eye again in the morning if it doesnt look back to normal my then. Hopefully whatever was in it that irritated it was flushed out, and it heals over night. :)

-Brandon

opaquelace

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Claudiusx":27t8t1us said:
I've found from my own dragons over the years, that for some reason the high quality trans genes paired with a decent quality leatherback gene typically do make those small flakey sheds.and candycane is definitely a high quality trans.

Either way, sometimes they can just shed flakey too. I'd rinse her eye again in the morning if it doesnt look back to normal my then. Hopefully whatever was in it that irritated it was flushed out, and it heals over night. :)

-Brandon
Her eye looks much better this morning. Still a little swollen but open and not leaking. She’s eating like a champ and seems unbothered.

opaquelace

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
This evening her eye is completely back to normal. I rinsed with saline again this morning (she got some in her mouth so had a watery poop blegh) but her eye looks fantastic and she’s basking and running about.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Great!

The watery poop almost certainly was caused by the stress and irritation of the whole situation as opposed to the saline getting in her mouth.

Glad she is back to normal! :D

-Brandon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beardiemomg
Top Bottom