Cancerous tumor, full tail amputation, recovery?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Sounds good, I would really like to see how things go and will watch for any updates about Agni and pictures are always appreciated !

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Absolutely post pictures of Agni, anytime you would like. We all love to see progress of
everything, & how he learns to adapt to his body changes. I am happy that he is bright
& doesn't have a black beard right now, either.

Tracie

Lilith86

Original Poster
Hi everyone!

Agni seems to be recovering well! It's been slightly over two weeks, and he is bright and walking around a lot and starting to get his appetite back, and starting to take little poops again. It's been far enough out that he is off pain meds now and just on the antibiotic and a little supplementary baby food.

I did send an email to my vet, though, because I'm a little concerned about the color of the scales right on the incision line. They look pretty dark. I don't know if I that's just damage from the stitches and is normal, or if that's some kind of necrosis starting that I should worry about. Does this look weird to you guys? Some of the dark gunk is leftover scab material from the actual operation... the incision is not actively weeping.

I'm calling the vet first thing Monday morning... they are closed on Sunday!

Attachments

• IMG_1791.JPG
    IMG_1791.JPG
    238.8 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_1853.JPG
    IMG_1853.JPG
    150 KB · Views: 13

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Agni looks great! Bless him. I am glad he isn't on the pain medication anymore, they are kind of
hard on them.
It really looks clean, the scales look normal to me & not necrotic. It is possible that it could be some
dried blood perhaps? It is great the wound isn't seeping, so hopefully there isn't anything else going
on with it.
Let us know what the vet says on Monday.

Tracie

Lilith86

Original Poster
Hello,

Agni looks great! Bless him. I am glad he isn't on the pain medication anymore, they are kind of
hard on them.
It really looks clean, the scales look normal to me & not necrotic. It is possible that it could be some
dried blood perhaps? It is great the wound isn't seeping, so hopefully there isn't anything else going
on with it.
Let us know what the vet says on Monday.

Tracie
Thank you, Tracie! I will let you know! I think it's probably fine, but I'm such a worrier... we've come so far that I don't want one little weird thing to throw off the rest of his recovery! It also doesn't help that I haven't been able to find any images of health scales at an amputation site to compare to...

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello!

No worries, I completely understand. After everything he has been through I would definitely want
to be sure that nothing else was going on again.
I hope he is doing well!

Tracie

Lilith86

Original Poster
Hi everyone,

I wanted to give you an update on Agni. It looks like everything is okay for now. I talked to the vet, and she said that it's possible that the scales distal from the sutures (down the tail rather than towards the body) may die and fall off due to lack of blood supply, but that would be okay. I would only need to worry if it looked like tissue was necrosing above the suture, towards the body. I also asked if they wanted me to put any silver sulfadiazine cream on the necrosing scales, like I had done on the dry tail rot at the whole beginning of this experience. She said that was not needed, since he's still on the Enrofloxacin for a few more days.

Needless to say, I will be keeping a close eye on this. And I may call back and ask if I should put the silver sulfadiazine cream on after we stop the oral antibiotic in a few days, just so he has some kind of antibiotic support while that tissue is dying off.... but do you think that the moisture from the cream would make it not dry out and fall off properly?
... ugh. So many questions. I hope the vet is not annoyed with me.

The main thing is that Angi is very active and seems alert and happy, and his appetite is continuing to improve! He ate 2 silk worms in one sitting yesterday (normal for him is to eat 6 silk worms once per day). I did give him some watered down green bean and corn baby food via oral syringe just to make sure he's hydrated, because he still can't take bathes, and he hates being misted (does not lap it off his nose, just shakes his head).

Below is a picture of he amputation site, for those interested. The incision is shaped like an upside down T. The horizontal incision looks really good, no discoloration. It's the vertical incision that has 2 rows of darkened scales below the suture line, which look like they are necrosing and will fall off.

Attachments

• IMG_1871.JPG
    IMG_1871.JPG
    162.6 KB · Views: 10

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Honestly, I don't see any issue with applying the silver sulfadizine cream as needed, as a simple
precaution. Be sure to keep her hydrated though, since she is on the Baytril, too.
I don't think the moisture would affect the tissue in the manner of it not sloughing off properly.
It sounds like Agni is doing great, that is excellent. I'm happy he did eat a couple of silkworms
for you also.
Please keep us posted on his progress.

Tracie

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

is my bearded dragons left side supposed to be hard, it’s right above its left leg in the back, it’s kind of hard? i feed it insects and greens. not sure if it’s normal or not? i can post pictures.
His first vet visit went well! Abelardo Texas looks good physically according to his new Dr.
Unfortunately, on the fecal it showed that he has Coccidia. Not a surprise honestly... he has been having diarrhea since I got him. I got Albon, F10, and a steam cleaner on hand.
I'm kinda freaked out, I heard coccidia is a beast to get rid of. Wish me luck! 😭
Sorry didn’t mean to post the last post was an accident, but I do have a question I have a 7 month old dragon, her name is Smaug and she will not eat her salad I have tried everything that I can, just wondering if anyone can help me because I’m stuck and I know that she should probably be eating them by now! If anyone can give me ideas that would be great!
-mia
Hello there I have Created a websites
Check and rate it Wearglam USA

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sharisally
Top Bottom