can i take my beardie outside if its 60 degrees?

Status
Not open for further replies.

curtbone123

Juvie Member
hi yall i know its getting warmer im not sure what is the least temperature that a bearded dragon can be outside so if its 60 or 70 degrees outside with sun out is that ok? also what feeding schedule should i go by if i want to take him outside daily i wanna make sure all of his food is digested before he goes to bed thank you! :D

RockyPlusBen

Hatchling Member
Yeah, you can take him out, you just shouldn't take him out for very long. Like 5 minutes. I take Rocky out for like 15 minutes when it's 85, but if it's only 70 I'll only take him out for like 5-10 minutes.

Just make sure you don't take him out right after he eats. Let him digest his food for about an hour before you take him out.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I was say that it should be at LEAST 65 degrees and sunny but agree with the other member that it should only be for a short length of time unless it's at least 75 degrees. Also, make sure he has a leash on because if something scares him, they can run very quickly and you might lose him.

Moved here from General Discussion forum

curtbone123

Juvie Member
Original Poster
diamc":1vp9lkl3 said:
I was say that it should be at LEAST 65 degrees and sunny but agree with the other member that it should only be for a short length of time unless it's at least 75 degrees. Also, make sure he has a leash on because if something scares him, they can run very quickly and you might lose him.

Moved here from General Discussion forum
hey diana!!! :blob5: :blob8: its been a while since ive talked to you good to hear from you always but im about to get a leash from OgleRpets in 3 or 4 days threw the mail so ima try his new leash on him to see if he likes it then ill take him outside if its 65 degrees and sunny like you said so if its 65 degrees how long should he be out and why for a short time cuz the sun is still out that keeps him warm right? and believe me i know how fast they run he almost got away from me one time in the house so i can imagine outside! :shock:

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hi, that's great that you have a leash on the way. Yes, they are indeed fast so best now to take any chances.

At 65, that is still pretty cool, don't forget that they are cold blooded and used to a basking temp of at least 100 degrees. Also, when they are laying on the ground when temps are only 65, the ground is still quite cool and damp. I would say 5 to 10 min at only 65 unless you pick him up and hold him some and then set him back down again. Something else to think about is that if this will be his first time outside, it may stress him out due to all the different noises, sights, birds, etc so you don't want to overdo it. The first few times, no matter what the temp, should be quite short.

curtbone123

Juvie Member
Original Poster
diamc":14lw7l13 said:
Hi, that's great that you have a leash on the way. Yes, they are indeed fast so best now to take any chances.

At 65, that is still pretty cool, don't forget that they are cold blooded and used to a basking temp of at least 100 degrees. Also, when they are laying on the ground when temps are only 65, the ground is still quite cool and damp. I would say 5 to 10 min at only 65 unless you pick him up and hold him some and then set him back down again. Something else to think about is that if this will be his first time outside, it may stress him out due to all the different noises, sights, birds, etc so you don't want to overdo it. The first few times, no matter what the temp, should be quite short.
ok got ya! thanks diana :) i took him out one time before and it was a nice day it was so cute cuz everytime when people came around he ran straight to my leg like i was a mom :lol: he was scared that showed me we had a good bonding with eachother it shocked me at first cuz he never done that before but really he havent been outside before either so when he was outside he didnt move or anything he just stayed in the same spot for a long time until people had came around then he started to run to me

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
That sounds so cute the way he ran to you, that does show that he comes to you to feel safe. :p

curtbone123

Juvie Member
Original Poster
diamc":ud9a18xc said:
That sounds so cute the way he ran to you, that does show that he comes to you to feel safe. :p
yea :lol: he's a real spoiled one tho i can tell you that si if its 65 degrees and i let him sit out in the sun for 10 min is that enough time for him to absorb the rays he need for that one day?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
One way for a beardie to get some time in the sun when the temps. are COOL , is to buy a colored plastic storage bin and put your beardie in there in the sun. The tote absorbs the heat so well, it is warm enough at 60 degrees, as long as the sun is shining, for the dragon to keep warm. The colored bins absorb heat so well that you can't really use them over 75-80 degrees,it gets too hot, but a clear, uncolored one can be used then. Of course, you would always keep an eye on them, and be sure that it doesn't get too hot. About half hour of sun a day is great for all beardies.

curtbone123

Juvie Member
Original Poster
AHBD":2n0ohe6e said:
One way for a beardie to get some time in the sun when the temps. are COOL , is to buy a colored plastic storage bin and put your beardie in there in the sun. The tote absorbs the heat so well, it is warm enough at 60 degrees, as long as the sun is shining, for the dragon to keep warm. The colored bins absorb heat so well that you can't really use them over 75-80 degrees,it gets too hot, but a clear, uncolored one can be used then. Of course, you would always keep an eye on them, and be sure that it doesn't get too hot. About half hour of sun a day is great for all beardies.
hmm..thats a good idea :idea: ima definetly try that out thanks! :D cuz color bins do absorb more heat than the clear ones but if its 75-85 degrees then tahts when i just pull out the leash so what about in the summer time when the temps are 90-100 degrees how long should i keep him out then?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lienminhokvip
Top Bottom