Can I put another new beardie with the one I have now?

Status
Not open for further replies.

litlrich

So I have a bearded dragon that I have had for 10 months, she is in 45 or 50 gallon tank, and I wanted to get another bearded dragon but the thing is, the beardie I have right now is like 13 inches and shes still growing and the other beardie that I want is about 4 or 5 months old (also a female) and shes like 14 inches. I was wondering if this would be a problem?

kjinxx2

Sub-Adult Member
Yes, it would be a big problem. You should only put one bearded dragon per enclosure. They're solitary animals, they don't like being together - they'll fight and kill eachother.

lauraj1055

Gray-bearded Member
My 2 females get along perfectly fine.. I don't have them living together, but they do go for visits to each others enclosures and hang out. They are both very docile. I also have (2) 5 month old beardies that are togehter that I am still waiting on seperating. They get along great, and go into depression if the other one leaves the enclosure. 2 females MAY be ok to house together, 2 males NEVER, a male and a female MIGHT mate, but some do not.. but rule of thumb is 1 beardie per enclosure.. however, there are several people who house them together with no issues, but they are far and few between.

My girls hanging out:
DSC04322.jpg

DSC04288.jpg

DSC04274.jpg

And my 2 little ones:
DSC04283.jpg

techdave

Juvie Member
Never. There are some that live together without killing each other. I've read stories on here about beardies that get along for years, then out of nowhere the owner comes home to find one either dead or seriously injured. Personally, I wouldn't want to take a chance on being responsible for a beardie death that could be easily avoided.

Beardies are solitary by nature. In the wild they only come together to mate, then they go on their ways not looking back. Granted this isn't the wild, but they have not been "tamed" long enough to breed those instincts out of them.

AtlasStrike

Sub-Adult Member
Also, you should always quarantine any new animal that comes into your collection for a minimum of 60 days. 90 days is a better amount of time actually. To effectively quarantine, you will need a completely separate enclosure with all the things that entails anyway, UVB, basking, furniture, etc. You might as well just keep them apart once you've invested in all that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lienminhokvip
Top Bottom