Can I feed Superworms as a staple?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slave2Scarlett

Gray-bearded Member
lauraj1055":1p2yqryr said:
I keep mine in a rubbermaid rectangle container (Walmart $3.00) along with Wheat Bran, and either a potato slice or a slice of butternut squash. Just poke small holes in the top for air. And change the carrot/potato/squash, whatever you use, every 3 days so it doesn't get moldy. They live for months.. I still have over 250 large superworms from December, as I ordered 500 by mistake.. oops.. I ordered 1,000 small ones for my 6 month old a month ago, and not one has died.
How do u sift them of the bran? lol I'm having trouble with that..

lauraj1055

Gray-bearded Member
I have the big tongs and grab them with that. They seem to all hurdle in the corners so I can usually grab 5-6 at once..

Slave2Scarlett

Gray-bearded Member
lauraj1055":hzqp3e28 said:
I have the big tongs and grab them with that. They seem to all hurdle in the corners so I can usually grab 5-6 at once..

Yeah I have those too.. Maybe I should put them in a container thats a little bigger so they spread out more instead of hiding down in the oats..

Slave2Scarlett

Gray-bearded Member
lauraj1055":35e3bldo said:
I also don't crush my wheat bran, so they are big flakes.. So there is nothing to sift :D
See I tried that though and I still couldn't find them..lol they bury down in there..

lauraj1055

Gray-bearded Member
Oh, do you use the micros??? I have the small, which are really small, so if you have the micros, I can imagine they are super tiny!!

lauraj1055

Gray-bearded Member
How old/big is your beardie?? I guess thats why they call them micros because you need a microscope to find them!! My 6 month old can eat 50 small supers in one whack, and sometimes I feed him when I get home, and he can eat another 50.. When I get him 3.5 weeks ago, he was 150 grams.. He is now 200.

Slave2Scarlett

Gray-bearded Member
She's 4 months and she is 12inches 70g.. They are a good size really.. They (meaning the worms) are just skinny.. I'm just so afraid of impaction I try to b so cautious. prob too cautious..lol

spurlee01

BD.org Addict
jomeigs":1014t13o said:
diamc":1014t13o said:
Joyce, what are the tank temps and what type of thermometer are you using? Also, could you fill us in on the brand & type of UVB, how old it is and what the distance is?

HIs warm side is 108 degrees. The cool side 75 degrees. I am using a digital probe. Is the 108 to warm now that he is 7 months old? He is due for a new UVB in March. It is 5-1/2months old. His current one is a Repti Glo 10.0 coil. He has had no issues with his UVB, so I figured I wait until his 6 months was up before switching to the Repi Sun tube. He can get about 8" from his UVB.

Joyce, it is possible (and even likely) that the lethargy and lack of appetite as well as hiding are symptoms related to the UVB. I would go ahead and order the reptisun 10.0 TUBE.

jomeigs

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
That is the only thing I can think of. Since his UVB is 5 1/2 months old. He does want to eat the Superworms(loves them), but has not pooped in 2 days. I do think his lack of going is due to his lack of eating. He ate baby food for me today aslo. I will replace his UVB tomorrow with the same one he already has while I wait for the Reptisun to come in.

He is so cute the way he lifts the carpet and gets underneath! I feel so bad about removing him.

Thanks again everyone.

spurlee01

BD.org Addict
I wouldn't replace it with the same one. Just order the reptisun. In fact, you can even give him a little break from UVB (just turn it off) for a week or so while you wait for the bulb to come in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lienminhokvip
Top Bottom