Can I feed Superworms as a staple?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jomeigs

Hatchling Member
My 7 month ol, Rex, is refusing to eat crickets. He used to each 40 at a shot(2 times a day). I tried the Superworms...Loves the Supers. I was told they shouldn't be fed regularly. I can not do Dubias! Reptiworms/phoenix worms he will eat aslo, but he eats somany it would cost a small fortune. Should I be feeding him live feeders once a day now? He has also been hiding alot...is this anything I should be concerned about?

Thanks!
Joyce

Jess

Extreme Poster
I use them as a staple, they're great. Dudley isn't fond of crickets. Just make sure that he is digesting them well, and doesn't gain too much weight.
Since Rex is young though, I would take it slow with them. How big is he? Try giving him one or two a day, and see how he does.

jomeigs

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Thanks everyone!I have been taking it slowly with supers. Rex is 17" and seems to handle them quite well. He will not even so much as look at a cricket..neverthought that would happen.

I wasfirst concerned when he started hiding under his repti carpet and then not eating. He was eating his salad though. So I got the super worms to see if he would eat and he sure did. He still wants to hide most of the time now and not doing much basking. I keep putting him to bask because I want to make sure he digests his worms. What would cause him to want to hide so much? His tank and temps have always been fine and the same.

Thanks again,
Joyce

lauraj1055

Gray-bearded Member
I use supers as a staple for both my 9 month old and my 6 month old.. my older one gets the large supers, and my younger one gets the small ones, and can eat about 50 in one shot. My older beardie eats about 4 large supers a day.. but both of them are super healthy, and my breeder uses them also as a staple.. Mulberryfarms.com has a selection of all different sizes.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Joyce, what are the tank temps and what type of thermometer are you using? Also, could you fill us in on the brand & type of UVB, how old it is and what the distance is?

Slave2Scarlett

Gray-bearded Member
Just an FYI if anyone is interested in this tid bit :D You can purchase micro superworms from mulberry farms and they are great!

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Slave2Scarlett":1ent2xil said:
Just an FYI if anyone is interested in this tid bit :D You can purchase micro superworms from mulberry farms and they are great!
I totally agree :idea:

jomeigs

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
diamc":33dmbaoh said:
Joyce, what are the tank temps and what type of thermometer are you using? Also, could you fill us in on the brand & type of UVB, how old it is and what the distance is?

HIs warm side is 108 degrees. The cool side 75 degrees. I am using a digital probe. Is the 108 to warm now that he is 7 months old? He is due for a new UVB in March. It is 5-1/2months old. His current one is a Repti Glo 10.0 coil. He has had no issues with his UVB, so I figured I wait until his 6 months was up before switching to the Repi Sun tube. He can get about 8" from his UVB.

KellyE

@Slave2Scarlett: Do you use the micro supers as a staple worm then for your juvenile? (thanks for the info by the way!) :D

We currently use reptiworms, however, I always want options for variety etc and was wondering about the supers as well. The thread that was linked earlier in this thread that talked about supers as a staple actually ended up being a debate about other staple bugs and didn't ever confirm if supers are in fact a good staple worm or not so I am still curious. I know that I have read on here that regular supers should not be fed until your dragon is at least 14 inches. Now that I know there are smaller ones available (as I have a juvenile), are the micros & small in fact an adequate staple worm for dietary needs to be met (along with regular appropriate veggies of course) or are they truly only better as a treat worm? :?:

Slave2Scarlett

Gray-bearded Member
We also use the reptiworms.. We try and switch it up a little for her.. Sometimes I will feed supers in the morning and reptis in the evenings.. And then we throw a few butters in occasionally for a little treat.. We are actually trying to get away from crickets all together..

KellyE

Awesome, that's what I was looking to do too. If I'm out of worms, I will get crickets in a pinch, however, I would love to discontinue those if possible! :lol: Thanks again for posting that there were the micros available, because I was not aware of those at all. As long as they are adequate for dietary needs, I would love to work them into my Puffer's diet as well. He'd love it I'm sure! :mrgreen:

Slave2Scarlett

Gray-bearded Member
KellyE":ll5hlj3e said:
Awesome, that's what I was looking to do too. If I'm out of worms, I will get crickets in a pinch, however, I would love to discontinue those if possible! :lol: Thanks again for posting that there were the micros available, because I was not aware of those at all. As long as they are adequate for dietary needs, I would love to work them into my Puffer's diet as well. He'd love it I'm sure! :mrgreen:

No problem! Glad I could help.. Just know that when u order them they will come in a little bag like thing and U will need to add some substrate/food for them to eat.. I bought some oatmeal and chopped it really fine.. Put them in a butter bowl with the oatmeal and a carrot and they are fine..

lauraj1055

Gray-bearded Member
I keep mine in a rubbermaid rectangle container (Walmart $3.00) along with Wheat Bran, and either a potato slice or a slice of butternut squash. Just poke small holes in the top for air. And change the carrot/potato/squash, whatever you use, every 3 days so it doesn't get moldy. They live for months.. I still have over 250 large superworms from December, as I ordered 500 by mistake.. oops.. I ordered 1,000 small ones for my 6 month old a month ago, and not one has died.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lienminhokvip
Top Bottom