Can bearded Dragons be fixed?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok Bearded dragons get along awesome I have a male and a female same age. Almost 1.5 years old giant baby's.. so three clutches after I found out they hit that age and started going at it. He won't leave her alone as soon as I put her in cage his head starts bobbing lol. Can I have him fixed? I would love to keep them together..
91519-2681624396.jpg
91519-9574862681.jpg
91519-4969610400.jpg

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Probably .... but is not fair to put him or her through surgery and post surgical pain just for your convenience.
Really why not simply invest in second tank and separate the two .....

Is really very poor beardie husbandry housing two adult (or any two) beardies permanently together as they do better in separate enclosures .

Your female is constantly stressed atm , this plus the constant mating will not be good for her.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Males can not be fixed and like was mentioned, spaying a female is costly, tricky and very invasive. It requires a huge incision from the pics I've seen. One member here had their beardie spayed but the next season she was producing eggs again. Here's the thread :

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=207870

There's a pic of the huge incision.

Anyway, best to separate them.....but even then she may produce infertile eggs every year for a while.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
AHBD":16fktzos said:
Males can not be fixed and like was mentioned, spaying a female is costly, tricky and very invasive. It requires a huge incision from the pics I've seen. One member here had their beardie spayed but the next season she was producing eggs again. Here's the thread :

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=207870

There's a pic of the huge incision.

Anyway, best to separate them.....but even then she may produce infertile eggs every year for a while.

My girl Rex was never allowed to mate with my same age boy Puff, or with my new young boy Toothless, she never produced any slugs , but often showed she was quite interested in the boys and they in her.
Much easier and simpler and easier to keep them in their own individual tanks and if you don't want them to mate, never let be together. You''ll still see the communication that goes on between two beardies without the risk of injury or eggs or slugs being produced , and she wont have so much strain on her body.

NBGwen

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Carl
Please separate them. I had two rescue beardies that I got just last June - a male, Gonzo, and a female, Evee. They had been housed together by their previous owners and poor Evee got the brunt of it. She had a fractured, infected jaw, scars on her neck from Gonzo constantly trying to get her. She was malnourished (emaciated really) and dehydrated. Gonzo actually ended up being the first of the two to pass in August, and I just lost my Evee in February. I tried desperately to help both.

The cheapest, most efficient, and healthiest option is to separate them. It is in their best interest absolutely. If you want to read up on what can happen, just look at my old post on Gonzo and Evee (which included a $500 jaw surgery to remove the infection and she was to have another jaw surgery if she had lived). It sounds like you love them, and everyone knows their own beardies better than a stranger on the internet, but it sounds like your female is being put through the ringer and it is not good for her :(

Jonesbeardeddragon

Original Poster
I didn't realize it was such a tuff surgery.. have no intention on not separating them I have two tanks. They are separate now. As when I purchased them I never knew I had a male and a female. Till the first clutch. They are both very healthy and are very friendly I think my female just might be stressed over this last clutch.. they just seem so different not being together personality wise. Seem lonely and sent as active as when together. They were together from the day I bought them at 6w or so old till they reached adulthood. They are separate as mentioned before and I have 41 very healthy eggs. In the incubator. She still has a very hearty urge to eat and has been given very much special attention with calcium and fresh veggies with her super worms and crickets plus a horn worm treat. I am just concerned of the brown on her head that just appeared after this last clutch in a different forum posted on this site. I for some reason thought since they get along so well and have always till recently been housed together if it was a simple procedure that would allow them to stay together.. has nothing to do with housing costs or anything like that. Since separated they seem depressed not them selves

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Jonesbeardeddragon":3q7kd7pi said:
I didn't realize it was such a tuff surgery.. have no intention on not separating them I have two tanks. They are separate now. As when I purchased them I never knew I had a male and a female. Till the first clutch. They are both very healthy and are very friendly I think my female just might be stressed over this last clutch.. they just seem so different not being together personality wise. Seem lonely and sent as active as when together. They were together from the day I bought them at 6w or so old till they reached adulthood. They are separate as mentioned before and I have 41 very healthy eggs. In the incubator. She still has a very hearty urge to eat and has been given very much special attention with calcium and fresh veggies with her super worms and crickets plus a horn worm treat. I am just concerned of the brown on her head that just appeared after this last clutch in a different forum posted on this site. I for some reason thought since they get along so well and have always till recently been housed together if it was a simple procedure that would allow them to stay together.. has nothing to do with housing costs or anything like that. Since separated they seem depressed not them selves

They are likely missing each other and both are probably still quite hormonal, they will be adjust to being housed separately pretty soon and she'll certainly be much happier in the long run and much less stressed.

NBGwen

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Carl
Jonesbeardeddragon":2wju3ut8 said:

My Evee had the same marks but scarred ? Like kinfofnobbys says, they will be so much happier separate once the hormones come down.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tlpowell718
Top Bottom