can a male and a female leo be housed together?

Status
Not open for further replies.

frog

Sub-Adult Member
Title pretty much says it all.. my juvi male has a 30 gallon tank all to himself and id he can he will share. hopefully soon Orion(intresting name i know, just like Orions belt or the Roman God- i just liked the whole theme idea. if i get him a roomate she willl have the same theme for her name) will have a new roommate! :D

well, i think a male and a female leopard gecko would breed, but, im not really sure, i dont own a leopard gecko, but, i would check google, just to make sure. or a pets store, i would be afraid to put them with eachother, becuase, i would be afraid that they would breed, well, i dont own a leopard gecko, so i dont know.

Eventide

Hatchling Member
I'd actually recommend housing a male and female together. I've had problems with female geckos that have no male to breed to (one died due to improper reabsorption of eggs). They will mate, yes, and you'll need to supply them with a lay box, but other than that, they should be fine. Just keep an eye that the female is laying regularly and is getting enough calcium to make up for the eggs...and that the two are getting along okay (no injuries, stress, dropped tails, etc.). If you don't want the eggs, just freeze 'em as soon as you can after they're laid, and then throw them out.

Just make sure the geckos are old enough to breed. I believe the minimum age is two years, but you might want to double-check that just in case. If you put a pair together when the female isn't old enough, she may die from egg binding or other reproductive issues due to her body not being developed enough for breeding.

I hope this helps!

frog

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Yeah. Im not sure if he is a male or not. But if I ever find out, I will make a decision. Until then, He gets a house all to himself.

My two females have lived together (introduced as adults, After I got one from a friend who couldnt keep one) they live together just fine.

averifalls

Hatchling Member
What the signs of aggressive behavior to watch for when you put the new leopard gecko in with your other leopard gecko?

zebraflavencs

Extreme Poster
Rearrange the tank, and feed the other just before adding the second. I also have leos, 2 1/2 yo male and female. A 30 is more than enough room for two.
As for sexing, gently turn the first one over on it's back and look for presence or lack of hemipenal bulges. Presence means you have a boy, lack of, yes a girl !
hope this helps !
Janie.

Beardy123

Im almost sure if you put a male and female together they will eventally breed.And if you put 2 males together they will most likely fight.

Eventide

Hatchling Member
Well, yeah, two males of pretty much any lizard is a no-no.

Signs of aggression: One gecko not getting enough food or not eating; one gecko being awake during the day or at other odd times (when the others aren't around); injuries, especially tail-drops; geckos chasing each other around, hissing at each other, and/or biting each other. Don't confuse these last two with a male readying to mate with the female; that is usually pretty obvious and not as violent as an aggression problem.

A friend of mine has a ton of leopard geckos, and she houses males with females (a couple tanks of three females with one male, one with two females and one male, and a couple more with one male/female pair), so it can definitely be done! I know of professional breeders who house males with females year-round as well (VMS Herp is the first one that comes to mind).

sha489

i just had to get rid of my 3 leos there was 2 females and 1 male all in a 30 gallon. the lady at the pet store said 10 gallon per each leo. mine never bred and always got along great. yours could be different and try and breed.i guess it all depends on the leos. mine never did tho. probably bc i wanted them too :D

sha489

i just had to get rid of my 3 leos there was 2 females and 1 male all in a 30 gallon. the lady at the pet store said 10 gallon per each leo. mine never bred and always got along great. yours could be different and try and breed.i guess it all depends on the leos. mine never did tho. probably bc i wanted them too :D

zebraflavencs

Extreme Poster
A 10 is pretty small, even for one. I would go with a 20 min.
Aggression is known by attacking one another, mating by male climbing on female's back and biting her neck.
Hope this helps out
Janie.

Eventide

Hatchling Member
There's nothing wrong with them breeding. Just make sure the females are getting plenty of food and calcium, and if you don't want the eggs, just freeze 'em.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beardiemomg
Top Bottom